cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 8.0 Bare metal restore wipes out the cloning computer in manager

Bakinup
Level 4

While doing a bare metal restore to clone a computer, I noticed after the restore I changed the computer name and put it on a network.

Afterward I noticed that the original computer that I restored from had turned into the computer I restored to. Now I must go back and reinstall BESR on the original computer to get it back into manager. It is easier to clone than to start from scratch everytime I wish to set up a PC. But I don't want to have to restore BESR on the original box. Is there a way around this?

I suppose that I could delete the version on the cloned box before putting it on the network. but if there is a better way I would really like to know.   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bakinup
Level 4

This makes sense . I have been using BESR to upgrade hardware but never to clone.  IS the SID the only thing that needs changing? I have put a bunch of time in this box, and there is a utility to change the SID.  I really don't want to start over. If there is a need to deploy another box I will get the deploy anywhere product you mentiioned in the previous message.But for now changing the SID sounds likethe best solution

Thanks for you help   

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AJT
Level 6

It sounds like you are trying to use BESR to deploy a computer. Is this right? If so, BESR does not change the SID on the cloned computer, this may be your problem. If you want to deploy a computer to dissimilar hardware Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 2.5 Deploy Anywhere will work, it does change the computer SID. If I've made an incorrect assumption, I apologize.

Jon_R
Level 6
Employee Accredited
AJT is correct. BESR is designed for disaster recovery, any system that is cloned using BESR will be an exact copy of the original machine in every way (other than drivers if you used the Restore Anyware Option). This can cause many problems if the machine where the image came from is on the same network as the machine restored from the image.

Bakinup
Level 4

This makes sense . I have been using BESR to upgrade hardware but never to clone.  IS the SID the only thing that needs changing? I have put a bunch of time in this box, and there is a utility to change the SID.  I really don't want to start over. If there is a need to deploy another box I will get the deploy anywhere product you mentiioned in the previous message.But for now changing the SID sounds likethe best solution

Thanks for you help   

Jacob_A
Level 6
Employee

NewSID from Microsoft will change the SID, but Microsoft does support images that have run it.

From Microsoft's website:
Regarding SIDs, Microsoft does not support images that are prepared using NewSID, we only support images that are prepared using SysPrep. Microsoft has not tested NewSID for all deployment cloning options.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897418.aspx