cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 8.5 Server Backup with two Harddisk (not connected at the same time)

Tora
Level 2
Partner
Hi all,

I have here a SBS 2008 Server with BESR 8.5 for Server. I have two USB external harddisks. One for even and one for uneven month. The USB harddisks are not connected at the server at the same time, one harddisk is stored out of office. When the harddisk it was changed after 20-40 days with the another one (even/uneven month harddisk) the backup starts with a base image and the rest of the time it will be only incremental backup. After the change it will be begin again with a base image backup.

How must I configuared BESR when I will that the old images are will be deleted after a reconnect of a USB harddisk after 20-40 days.

I have only config BESR with a single external harddisk or with two harddisk with offsite copy.

Can me help someone please. Big big thanks.

Best regards,
Tora

sorry for my english, my english is not so well....
3 REPLIES 3

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Tora,

How did you configure the backup job? Do you have 1 backup job and 2 OFFSITE locations defined?

-Andreas

jkornhiser
Level 3
It doesn't matter how you conifigure the job because when you swap out the disks, BESR will start the backup job as if it were being run for the first time. As I posted in another thread, BESR does not like removable media. Symantec recommends backing up to a fixed disk and then setting up a Scheduled Task to copy the backups to removable media.

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited
If you want to rotate media, then jkornhiser is correct. It is recommended that you backup to a static location and use the offsite feature to copy the image files to a secondary location. You can set up the offsite job to copy to more than 1 location in case you want redunancy.