cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR EasyInstaller Installation Fails

bluechips23
Not applicable
I am trying to install BESR EasyInstaller package on desktop clients but it fails all the time. These are the following things I tried:

I installed the BESR Manager on the server and created the Easy Installer with Microsoft .NET 2.0, Management Control and Backup Exec System Recovery. I added the package from the respective CDs (Management Control from the Manager CD, and BESR from the Desktop CD), and during the creation of the EasyInstaller, I do check the option which says "Include all the set up files..."

Then I go to the desktop machine, and go to the website specified for EasyInstaller download. After saving the EasyInstaller on the local hard drive, I execute it after closing all IE browser windows. This is where it fails. The installer starts, with "Initializing installation...done" but then it fails the next step with the following screens (as shown in attached pictures). I do have Windows Installer 3.1 (I have uninstalled and reinstalled it as well just to double check). I have tried testing this on 3-4 XP machines but it fails all the time. The BESR server is a 2003 machine.

In the error log, I get the following message:
"Failed to delete the file: C:\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\APPLIC~1\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery Manager\EasyInstaller\BootStrap.exe LastError 2: The system cannot find the file specified."

I have been working on this for quite a long time, and I desperately need a solution to this. Please let me know what's going on and how do I solve this.
1 REPLY 1

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
The use of the InstallShield component by the Easyinstaller packages is what we suspect is what is resulting in the error that you are experiencing and at this time is currently under investigation by Symantec Corporation. Pending the outcome of the investigation, this issue may be resolved by way of a patch or hotfix in current or future revisions of the software. However, this particular issue is not currently scheduled for any release.
Since you have been working on this issue for a long time, and desperately need a solution as a stop-gap fix you may want to follow the suggestions listed below that will forgo the use of EasyInstaller packages all together but will still allow these desktop clients to be managed by the Backup Exec System Recovery Manager (BESRM) console.

The instructions assume that you are using the 7.01 build or higher of both BESR and BESRM.

I. Run .NET 2.0 install from the BESR product CD

(1) On each desktop client properly insert the BESR product CD.
(2) Use Window’s Explorer to navigate to the \SUPPORT\DOTNET sub-folder.
(3) Run the DOTNETFX.EXE (for 64-bit OS systems the NETFX64.EXE) and follow the directions shown in the install windows that will be displayed.

II. Manually install Backup Exec System Recovery in agent only mode

(1) On each desktop client properly insert the BESR product CD.
(2) Click Start > Run
(3) Enter the following install script line (e.g. change the optical drive letter to the driver letter windows has assigned to the CD-ROM device from which the BESR product CD has been inserted from step 1)

WARNING: The following install script will automatically reboot the system once the install completes.

<OPTICAL_DRIVE_LETTER>:\INSTALL\SETUP.EXE /s /v" /qn AddLocal=Shared,Agent,LiveUpdate,BESRSecurityShortCut /l*v c:\BESRINSTALL.LOG"

III. Install Management Control agent

(1) Attempt to install the Management Control (MC) agent from the download of its’ EasyInstaller package from the BESRM server/console you wish to manage this agent.
(2) If step one fails perform a manual install of the agent from the instructions listed below, else administer the agent from the BESRM console.

Perform the following steps to manually install the Management Control:
1. Retrieving information:
Certificate:
Copy from the BESRM server the following files to the destination machine:
• C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Manager\Services\tomcat\keystore\Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery Manager Cert.cer
• C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Manager\Services\tomcat\webapps\axis\depot\oneclickinstaller\certimport.exe
Passcode:
From a working agent, copy the value (Do not export) of the following key from the registry of a working client:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery Manager\7.0\Publisher]
EPC=

2. Registering information:
Run the following command in order to register the certificate on the agent:
CertImport.exe "Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery Manager Cert.cer"
Please note:  Certimport will create a log file called CertImport.log in the same folder. Check that the last line is "returning with retval 0."
Create the key with the value of the passcode you retrieved previously from
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery Manager\7.0\Publisher]
EPC=

3. Installation of the Management Control:
From a command prompt (Start, Run, CMD) change the directory to the "Publisher" folder path on the BESRM Installation Cdrom, type in the following command, and press Enter:
msiexec.exe /i "Management Control.msi" address=https://%1:%2
Please note: %1 is the netbios name or the IP address of the server and %2 is the port of the BESRM service (8443 by default)
The machine should appear in the Console afterward.

If you feel this issue has a direct business impact for you and your continued use of the product, please contact your Symantec Sales representative or the Symantec Sales group to discuss these concerns. For information on how to contact Symantec Sales, please see http://www.symantec.com/business/contact_sales.jsp