Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR2010 Reduce the Number of Backup's Kept

networkn
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi There!

I backup my PC every day to the NAS unit, and I notice my backups exceed 1TB now, dating back 4 months. I really only need a fortnight or so kept. most products allow you to specify you want 2 full and 5 incrementals or such.. Essentially I want to be able to restore my system back a fortnight, with 2 full backups and the rest incrementals. How do I configure that? Also can I have email notification of the status of the backup?

7 REPLIES 7

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Backup Exec System Recovery (BESR) has a feature where you can set the number is recovery Points to be kept so that you destination disk will not get full.

Here is the technote about the Recovery Point Limit.:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH54693 : How to configure the recovery point set limit in Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery Server Edition (BESR)

Thanks,

-Sush...

Sush---
Level 6

Did you try the changes as per the above technote?/

Please let us know if it was helpful and if it worked well in your scenario so that we can close this post and mark the resolution.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Sush---
Level 6

Are there any updates on this ??  I would appreciate if you can update the post from your end. If you have got the required Information please mark the Solution and close this forum post.

Thanks,
-Sush... 

networkn
Level 4
Partner Accredited

So sorry. I had set the forum to notify me when updates were posted, but I didn't get notified.

I will try this and update now.

networkn
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi There!

On another note I had to reimage my computer and reinstalled Backup Exec System Recovery. I am not sure how to add my nas unit which contained all my old backups as a destination so I can say, delete any older than say 2 months, to clear up disk space?

networkn
Level 4
Partner Accredited

What I want is 3 weeks of backups, 1 full and 6 days of incrementals each week.

Sush---
Level 6

If your requirement is to keep 3 weeks of backups (1Full +6 Incr) then in the backup job properties you should set the Recovery Point Limit to 3.

So this will go through the following steps.

1st Week--> 1 Full and 6 Incr

2nd Week--> 1 Full and 6 Incr

3rd Week --> 1 Full and 6 Incr

4th Week --> 1 Full and 6 Incr.... This set will Overwrite the Recovery Point that was created in the 1st week. This will ensure that at any given time you will always have complete set of 3 weeks Recovery Points

The only care that needs to be taken here is  to make sure that the Disk where the backups are stored is not getting full.

Thanks,

-Sush...