cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing Up and Restoring Multiple Domain Controllers

JWK
Level 4
Has anyone has to restore one domain controller when multiple domain controllers are backed up? Are there any additional steps required after the restore to get replication working again, or is it seemless?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AJT
Level 6
With Windows 2000 DC restore you must boot into AD Services Mode, search for "Active Directory" BESR best practices on this forum for details. Windows 2003 DC and above just make sure your DC's are in good shape and your backups are recent and restore as normal.

PS: If you want to restore your BCD and FSMO/GC domain controller, look on MSDN to see which roles you might need to transfer to other DC's before restore.

Hope this helps :)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Bala_Krishna
Level 3
Please Explain Clearly it will help us to understand your problem

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

It's no problem. Just like any other non-authorative restore.

JWK
Level 4
So I don't need to demote or promote after restoring just one domain controller, or do I have to boot in Directory Service Restore Mode and perform more steps?

AJT
Level 6
With Windows 2000 DC restore you must boot into AD Services Mode, search for "Active Directory" BESR best practices on this forum for details. Windows 2003 DC and above just make sure your DC's are in good shape and your backups are recent and restore as normal.

PS: If you want to restore your BCD and FSMO/GC domain controller, look on MSDN to see which roles you might need to transfer to other DC's before restore.

Hope this helps :)

JWK
Level 4
That's good to hear. I know in Windows 2000 I had to back up the system state and sometimes I ended up demoting the server to fix the issues.