cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec System Recover 8.5 freezing at 99%

markharper
Level 3
After a dismal performance trying to recover the system over the network I copied the recovery point to an external disk drive. The restore went 10 times faster but then failed at 99%. The hardware had not been changed and only new disks installed of a larger capacity. So I selected restore my computer (windows 2003 server domain controller) from another recovery point a day earlier (full computer backup and not a incremental file) as we have over 5TB to save images on.
Now I have removed the serial ATA raid controller and gone back too the motherboard raid controller (Intel SE7320 VP2) board. I have successfully re-configured the raid under the new embedded storage controller and loaded windows to make sure that their was no hardware problems. I have then booted with the default recovery CD for system restore and successfully loaded the raid driver. I am doing a restore to different hardware because of the changed raid controller. My question is that If the previous restore point had the previous raid as degraded would this make the system hang at 99% It is the only thing I can think of and I need this domain controller up and running ASAP as everything is down until it runs.
7 REPLIES 7

markharper
Level 3
OK Just completed the restore and I now get an error message saying "windows could not start because of a computer hard disk configuration error" "could not read from the selected boot disk"
what the hell is happening? this software is about as useful as a blind guide dog!

marcogsp
Level 6
A stall at 99 % might indicate that the recovery process is having trouble retargeting the restored system to the hardware.  This might sound strange, but the recovery process does have to account for the new hard disk(s) in the process, even where everything else remains the same.  Even changing partition sizes on the original disk(s) can trigger the need to retarget the image to what is perceived as new disk hardware.  If the drive controller and everything wlse remains the same, then there is generally no need to do a Restore Anyware when just changing disks..  When changing to the controller on the mainboard, you were correct to do a Restore Anyware

I have on occasion run into the situation were new drives were just not compatible with the controller.  Sometimes the restores would go off without a hitch, but still not be able to use the drive(s) due to controller and drive incompatibilities.

A original array being degraded could be contributing to the problem.  BESR is definitely Garbage In, Garbage out (GIGO) sensitive.  Sometimes, imaging the array with the option to skip bad sectors can help you bypass this issue.  A verification of the image with the Recovery Point Browser would at least prove that all the files in the image can be opened.

If I were in your shoes, what would I try next?  Regardless of which controller and the fact that it is the same hardware, I would do a Restore Anyware with the -DED (Delete Existing Drivers) switch checked off.  The hope is that this will force the recovery process to redetermine the RAID and NIC drivers needed and get past the stalled retargeting process.  There is a -PFD (Prompt for Drivers) switch too, but that is a last resort use switch.   In any case have your drivers handy because you may be prompted for them anyway.  Info on accessing the Restore Anyware switches below:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/293847.htm

Best of Luck

marcogsp
Level 6
In addition to my other reply, make sure you check off Restore original disk signature check boxes.  For the partition with the OS, check off Mark active for booting, and Restore MBR check boxes.

markharper
Level 3
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
Original disk signatures I was not given an option, I ticked (checked) make disk bootable, but if I restore the MBR would that be compatable with the new raid and disks from the old image?

marcogsp
Level 6
The MBR restore should be okay.  I've only had one occasion where I've had to restore the MBR from other means afterward after restoring the MBR from the BESR SRD.

You should see the Restore original disk signature right below the checkbox for Set Drive Active (for booting OS) checkbox

imagebrowser image

markharper
Level 3
Hi,
Thanks again but from what I can gather that option is "greyed out" If the raid controller has changed then that would not be an option?
Regards

marcogsp
Level 6
A selection being greyed out is more of an indication that the sv2i index file is being used to select the drives to be restored.  This is the default when selecting a system to restore vs selecting an image to restore to a drive.  If you click on the delete button in the upper right corner as shown in the earlier screen cap, you can thn go back and add the drive selection again by selecting the image file to restore.  You may need to do this for other partitions as well if an invalid selection error pops up.  Afterward, the greyed out options should become available to set.