cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 - Restoring An Exchange Mailbox

JM_Joyce
Level 3

I am trying to restore the mailbox of an employee that has left the company. We have SBS2008 64-bit as our Exchange server. Our data is backed up to an external USB hard drive.

When I tried to restore using the Granular Restore option while logged on to the server it wouldn't let me because the SBS server doesn't have Outlook installed.

So I installed BESR 2010 Desktop version on a Windows 7 32-bit PC and tried to restore using the PC.  The software spent most of the day loading the restore points and then failed with the message that I need to run this on a 64-bit machine.  This is more than slightly annoying as I would have thought that the software would check for that first before wasting several hours and then telling me.

Anyway as all of our PC's are 32-bit and Outlook is not installed on the server, is there any way to recover the individual mailbox with our setup?

Thanks in advance, Jeremy

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Did you backup your SBS 2008 with BE or BESR?  They are two different products.  If you use BE, you should be able to restore an individual mailbox.

criley
Employee Accredited

If your Exchange server is 64bit, you MUST have GRO installed on a 64bit system before you can restore.

The only other option is to install Outlook on your SBS server.

JM_Joyce
Level 3

Unfortunately there is no 64-bit version of Outlook 2007, as far as I can tell.  I've tried installing a 32-bit version on the sevrer but it won't install.

So it looks like a dead-end.

Thanks.

JM_Joyce
Level 3

I'm trying to use BESR.  Unfortunately the tape backups for the period I am trying to restore failed at the time of the backup, so BE is not an option in this case.

Thanks.

criley
Employee Accredited

I've not heard of that issue before. You can also use Outlook 2010 by the way..

Can you not setup a VM with a 64bit operating system to use GRO on??

JM_Joyce
Level 3

No, setting up a VM is not an option here.  Even if I could, it seems like overkill when all I want to do is recover a mailbox - not very practical.

The whole idea of having BESR with GRO is to make it simple to recover selected items.  In our case having BESR is a waste of time except in the case of a disaster where we want to recover the whole system to a new server.  So there is some value in it for us, but not at all useful for anything less than a disaster.

criley
Employee Accredited

Not sure what else to suggest then. As already mentioned, you have 2 options:

1. Install GRO on another x64 machine
  2. Install Outlook on the SBS server

If #2 is not working, you should contact Microsoft for help.