cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 - Testing information...

ioniancat21
Level 5
Just to add to the conversation, I downloaded the installation files and am testing BESR 2010 with Windows 7 and Server R2. So far, simple backups and restores are completing successfully. I will post my findings regarding a restore to different hardware and a P2V test as well using the two newer Windows versions listed above. Thanks again Symantec for releasing your software on time as promised.

To download the evaluation version of Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 for testing or upgrade, follow the link below:
http://www.symantec.com/business/products/trialware.jsp?pcid=pcat_business_cont&pvid=1602_1

NOTE: For users who are upgrading, you'll need to contact Symantec Support for upgrade keys. Performing a fresh install will require a new license as your 8.5 keys will not work.
8 REPLIES 8

siddus74
Not applicable
Hi the trial version suggests that it is fully functional for 60 days. Do the systems restored (baremetal) with in that time period stop functioning after 60 days as well?

Johanvdv
Level 4

you'll need to contact Symantec Support for upgrade keys. Performing a fresh install will require a new license as your 8.5 keys will not work

I have tried to contact Customer Care regarding this point but they are not yet ready to provide 9.0 keys.
It seems that the 'upgrade notifications are not ready yet'.

My issue with this is that I wanted to use the SRD to make a cold backup of a set of old systems. In order to make a backup using only the SRD, you do need to enter a valid license key. And my current 8.5 license keys are not valid.

Since the trialware download does not provide you with a key, I am stuck.

ioniancat21
Level 5
No, only the trial installation of BESR 2010 will expire. Machines imaged or restored will stay activated and in good shape. Also, the boot disk will not be fully functional so creating images will probably be blocked in the trial mode so only restores are allowed.

Another note is that fully licensed users of BESR 8.55 will not be able to upgrade using the same license key. As said above, you'll need to contact Symantec for a new license key. I am still in trial mode as well for now since my company is licensed for 8.5 as BESR 2010 is only a day old. Another thing that will hold me back from upgrading my license is the lack of Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 machines within our domain. My management will probably upgrade once we start to rollout 7 and R2 machines. For now, I'm using the trial at home and in my test lab at the office.

ioniancat21
Level 5
That's unfortunate..........

I haven't tried to upgrade my license yet so I wouldn't know. If your licensed for 8.5 and the computer you want to image is not a 7 or 2008 R2 computer, you should still be able to use the image after you upgrade. Just a thought.............

I'm sure someone from Symantec here in the forum would be glad to interject here and offer you a way to buy their products, right guys???

ioniancat21
Level 5
Wow.............

A day has gone by and a user wanting to buy Symantec product cannot find someone around here to point him in the right direction????

Very surprising..............

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited
"I haven't tried to upgrade my license yet so I wouldn't know. If your licensed for 8.5 and the computer you want to image is not a 7 or 2008 R2 computer, you should still be able to use the image after you upgrade. Just a thought............."

Yes, you will be able to use the 8.5 images for restore/mounting/browsing/etc with the upgrade. It is backwards compatible so you will not have an image you cannot use. It is not recommended that you rely on the 8.5 recovery disk to restore 2010 images.

Does that answer your question? Let me know if you have any more questions.

ioniancat21
Level 5
Hello all;

As I said I'd be testing for a couple of weeks and I wanted to drop a line here as I finally saw the Linux version of BESR. While I understand Linux is free and therefore, Symantec doesn't benefit financially by making Linux apps. With that said, expect major differences between it and the Windows version.

I've been working with the Windows version and have never seen the pain users will have using this. Many of BESR's flagship features are not included and restoring can only be performed to same hardware. In a nutshell, Symantec repackaged Ghost 2003 and it's DOS floppy boot disks as BESR for Linux. Without all those features, BESR is not a special product.

My advice to users is to purchase a Windows-based license so you can truly enjoy using this product when panic strikes.

ioniancat21
Level 5
To conclude my mini-review, in a nutshell BESR 2010 is basically v8.5 with an updated interface and Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 compatibility. Also added is the optional granular restore options, now standard and included with the package which is nice.

One thing I do find puzzling is using the Restore Anywhere options on machines in the Vista/Server 2008 family. I notice moving Windows 2003 Servers and XP machines is less prone to failure as compared to moving Vista, Windows 7 and Server 2008 and R2. I've had some instances where moving Vista machines have failed for a larger variety of reasons.

If anyone has any insight as to why Vista and the newer generations of Windows machines are harder to move to new hardware, I'd be curious to hear.