cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup/Restore Dell Optiplex 390

caughron01
Level 3

I created a backup of my Dell Optiplex 390 and there are 3 total files. A Dell File, A Recovery File, and the C Drive. When I boot into the SSR 2011 I am clicking Backup Recovery then clicking next and I am loading the files in this order.

(I am deleting the c drive partition before laying down the images)

1.Dell File

2.C Drive

3.System Recovery (making it bootable option checked)

Am I doing this wrong? Does anyone know the correct order to lay down the images, and what options I need to have checked when doing a recovery on this machine?

So far I have gotten a missing boot file error then telling me to ctrl+alt+delete+, The error I have gotten the most is a black screen with a blinking cursor......

I am stumped on what options may need to be checked within the 3 different files and which order to lay them down.

Any and all support is much appreciated, if you need more details please let me know what you need.

Thanks,

Joshua

21 REPLIES 21

PravinAmin
Level 5
Employee

Hi Joshua,

The correct sequence should be

1. Dell OEM partition

2. System Reserved Partition (This should be marked as bootable/active)

3, C:

-Thanks,

Pravin

caughron01
Level 3

Thank You Pravin.

Another question,

For the drive signature should that be checked for each one?

PravinAmin
Level 5
Employee

I would suggest not to check the drive signature as you are trying to restore on the same box.

-Thanks,

Pravin

caughron01
Level 3

ok I followed those directions and I ran a system test and everything passed, but it will not boot. It gets to the Dell Splash Screen with boot option F12, then goes to a black screen with blinking cursor. All I can to is CTRL+ALT+Delete and it reboots and does the same thing. Any ideas?

PravinAmin
Level 5
Employee

Hi Joshua,

To confirm the state of partitions after restore,  please boot into System Recovery Disk

1. From Analyse, start command prompt

2. Type Diskpart command in command prompt

3. On diskpart prompt, type Select Disk 0

4. then type Lis Part

Please paste the output of above command.

-Thanks,

Pravn

caughron01
Level 3

Partition ####                Type                  Size                 Offset

Partition 1                     OEM                  40MB                1024KB

Partition 2                     Primary               15GB                  41mb

Partition 3                     Primary               218GB                15GB

caughron01
Level 3

When I explore the files through the SSR it made 3 drives

RECOVERY (C:)

OS (E:)

Boot (X:)

PravinAmin
Level 5
Employee

Hi Joshua,

The drive letter naming can be different when booted into WinPE.

The partitions looks correctly restored. Partition 2 should be System Partition and Partition 3 is OS partition. Again from diskpart prompt, please try following commands and see it it boots.

1. From Analyse, start command prompt

2. Type Diskpart command in command prompt

3. On diskpart prompt, type Select Disk 0

4. then type Lis Part

5. type Select Part 2

6. type ACTIVE

If it fails to boot, follow the same command sequence from SRD again and make partition 1 as active.

-Thanks,

Pravin

caughron01
Level 3

Getting same thing black screen with blinking cursor, it wont boot.

When I made the first one active then tried the second one does it de-activate the first one? Or does it make both active?

PravinAmin
Level 5
Employee

I need to check few more things in this case. I'll get back to you.

-Thanks,

Pravin

caughron01
Level 3

Did you see up above where I said it made my main drive the E: drive instead of the C: drive?

Could that be the issue?

Thanks

PravinAmin
Level 5
Employee

Yes...I saw your comment ,however, the drive letters can be different when booted into Windows PE environment (i.e. SRD in our case)

Please refer to technote: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH159179. Can you try exact steps given in this technote and check if it works?

-Thanks,

Pravin

caughron01
Level 3

Will try now and report back.

Thanks,

Joshua

caughron01
Level 3

It will not let me select Restore master boot record when doing the Recovery part. It is greyed out.

PravinAmin
Level 5
Employee

Is it happening with all 3 v2i files you are trying to restore?

caughron01
Level 3

Ya it is greyed out on all of them.

Also, this is an old restore from when we first got the machine. For some reason the IT contractor we had put xp on it. So now we are trying to use our image to revert it back to factory. If that makes any kind of a difference.

caughron01
Level 3

Right now I have it back to the xp state and it boots fine but it does not want to go back to windows 7.

PravinAmin
Level 5
Employee

Ok..in this case...please follow the steps mentioned in the technote. Once all the images are restored, start command prompt

1. Navigate to SRD media (may be D:)

2. Lookout for Manager folder and change directory into ti (cd Manager). The manager directory should be having bootsect.exe

3. Type command: Bootsect.exe /nt60 C: /mbr

4. Reboot the computer

-Thanks,

Pravin

PravinAmin
Level 5
Employee

I need to dig the scenario further and will get back to you on this.

-Thanks,

Pravin