cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup destination network credentials not accepting "." in username!

SteveK_NZ
Level 2

I want to create a new backup destination (the first actually!) on the BESRM server, to be accessible to all jobs including remote servers, and the BESRM server itself. 

I create a new destination using the UNC name (\\sts-chc-backup\Image Backups), a share that I have created.  The share has full access rights to the service account I am using on all installations of BESR on remote and local server.

I'm now required to enter network credentials to this location.  Our domain is called "Internal", the username (a dedicated backup service account) is called "svc.backupexec.chc".   If you enter the user name of "internal\svc.backupexec.chc" you recevie an error "Windows user names may not consist entirely of periods and spaces, or contain the following characters:\/"[]:|<>+=;,?*@".  Hmmm, not good. 

Entering the valid username of "svc.backupexec.chc" without the domain names gives the following error "You must specify a user name using any of the following formats: domain_name\user|name, local_computer_name\user_name, IP_address\user_name". 

There appears to be no validity checking of the name entered at this stage so I entered a dummy username of "domain\username" and it worked fine (until I tried to use it)!  I also tested "internal\svc_backupexec_chc" and it too worked fine.

It looks like the routine that BSERM uses is not liking the ".".  This is a valid character and it needs to be fixed!

Many thanks, Steve

1 REPLY 1

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
See if the BESRM 8.51 build corrects this issue, those on the forums who are on that build where it does not please let me know.

Thanks