cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About System Restore...

mytech
Level 2

Hello,

I'm not sure this is the right place to post my request, i'm sorry.

I would like to know if Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery works and create an image when the platform is in use by the servers, because I've to keep them online 24 hours all days.

I didn't find this option in the overview (and similars) of the products, in the symantec's official page.

Thanx, best regards,

Stefano

Italy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AJT
Level 6

You may use BESR to create a hot backup of your running servers. This backup includes everything needed to perform a restore and a restore to dissimilar hardware. BESR does not affect or change anything on the running server while performing a backup; it just calls and uses VSS.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AJT
Level 6

You may use BESR to create a hot backup of your running servers. This backup includes everything needed to perform a restore and a restore to dissimilar hardware. BESR does not affect or change anything on the running server while performing a backup; it just calls and uses VSS.

mytech
Level 2

Hi. Thanks for the support and the exaustive answer.

Best regards,

Stefano

Jon_R
Level 6
Employee Accredited
What AJT said is technically correct, but calling on VSS can cause applications to make changes such as truncating logs. This normally has no ill effects, but if used in conjunction with other backup solutions, it may cause an issue.

mytech
Level 2
Hi. thanx for the explanation. we have the IBM's Legato Backup software installed, and backing up on tapes. I hope this is not a real problem..