cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup scheduled at logoff / shutdown not working

Kantner_Kaukone
Level 2

Ok, so I followed all steps described in the users guide to make SSR 2013 perform a full system backup at log off, you know, an event-triggered backup, choosing to star the backup when "Any user logs offto the computer". However, backups are not working. I asume logging off should be equivalent to shutting down the computer (which is what I really want it to do, make a full system backup every time I shut down the computer when leaving work). I asumed that windows logs off first when you shut down the computer, but for whatever reason it doesn´t work.

Besides, in the list of event-triggered backups there is no "backup at shutdown"

Is there a way to make SSR 2013 backup at shutdown?.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

I looked into this and triggering a backup for a shutdown event is not in the product. It's a different event to a logoff.

When you logoff, the backup runs in the background after you have logged off.

If you triggered a backup on a shutdown, you would have to wait for the backup to finish before the machine can shutdown. That could cause some issues..... shutdown may take some time depending on the type of backup (full/incremental) and the amount of data that needs backing up. I think that would lead to frustration - this is the only reason I can think of why that option is not in the product.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Which version of SSR 2013 exactly do you run?

criley
Employee Accredited

What about if you logoff, instead of doing a shutdown. Does that trigger a backup?

Kantner_Kaukone
Level 2

version.gif

Kantner_Kaukone
Level 2

Yap, logging off trigers the backup. Shutting down does not. I just don´t want to leave the computer running all the time, wasting energy.

Hmmm, perhaps I could make myself a batch file that gets executed whenever I shutdown the computer... Or maybe use the windows 7 task scheduler to somehow tell SSR 2013 to start a backup at shutdown?, I don´t know.  

The picture I posted seems barely readeable, I use SSR 2013 (not R2) virtual edition. OS is Windows 7 64 bits.

criley
Employee Accredited

I looked into this and triggering a backup for a shutdown event is not in the product. It's a different event to a logoff.

When you logoff, the backup runs in the background after you have logged off.

If you triggered a backup on a shutdown, you would have to wait for the backup to finish before the machine can shutdown. That could cause some issues..... shutdown may take some time depending on the type of backup (full/incremental) and the amount of data that needs backing up. I think that would lead to frustration - this is the only reason I can think of why that option is not in the product.