cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Besr7 and RA for DC's

dales
Level 3

Hi,

I was wondering in what context symantec recommend using restore anywhere for DC's to different hardware. I dont think its meant for migration of a DC to a new server in an existing domain and I've tested it and AD seems to take offence to migrating to different hardware and kerberos starts complaining after the migration.

Is restore anywhere for a dc meant for a total DR point where you have lost everything and need a DC to replicate from?

In my test network when I've conducted a RA reimaging to different hardware the server boots ok and then obviously needs drivers etc installed but AD on the DC was in a mess, there were group policy folders missing from sysvol, it would not replicate with the other untouched DC and kerberos meant that browsing to unc was not working \\servername produced the target account name is incorrect when trying to browse shares etc on the restored DC. I've read the best practice paper for besr7 but I do not see that it directly covers my particular requirement from it.

I know besr7 is a few versions behind but for the time being this is what I've got to work with so any hints would be most appriciated.

Regards

Dale

4 REPLIES 4

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

We've done RA on DCs with BESR 8 and up and it just worked fine.

dales
Level 3

Ok, thanks for that how did you do it, did you go into ds recovery console during the first reboot of the server to get it to do a non authoriative restore?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

After the recovery is complete, yes I boot into the recovery console by adding /SAFEBOOT:DSREPAIR /SOS to the first line of boot.ini before rebooting the server. In the console I use ntbackup to restore the systemstate.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Have you succeeded ?