cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Backup Exec be scripted for autorecovery?

vjarjadian
Level 2
Hello

I have been tasked to manage and repair the PCs at a local youth group.

I am trying to find out if backup exec can be installed to a partition and scripted to perform a recovery,

Basically i want to run a dual boot with the second OS being Backup Exec. so that if the PCs malfunction as they frequently do with children messing with them, they just boot to Backup Exec and it does everything needed to restore the primary OS.

So i need assistance in the following:

Installing Backup Exec to a partition so it can boot from that partition,
Writing a script to perform autorecovery from a specified image, the image will be stored in the Backup Exec partition 

Thank-you

3 REPLIES 3

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Depending upon the number of client systems that you will be working with, you may want to consider looking into a combination of using the LightsOut restore option with the Backup exec System Recovery Manager option. LightsOut will act as a recovery disk and boot the system not from a 2nd partition but from the primary OS partition of the drive; so the File system would have to be intact or you would still have to use a physical recovery CD to perform the restore – LightsOut restore option does not work on dual boot systems.  The Manager would be your ‘script,’ it would instruct LightsOut to boot the system to perform the restore. To learn more about remote restores check out p139 to 143 in the

Backup Exec System Recovery Manager 8 Implementation Guide, also known as User Guide. (BESR Manager 8)

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/297635.htm

vjarjadian
Level 2
I will look this up,

but i have just found another product which i believe may suit me slightly better.

Acronis True Image Echo Workstation

i will look over their product as well and if i think the symantec solution is better i will be back here for more information.

Thank-you

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
For more information about automation Symantec Consulting Services 1 (877) 870 5700