cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification on files

Matrix_CC
Level 3

Fresh from my Verizon routing issues, I have a question that I'm pretty sure I know the answer to but just want to be sure my understanding is correct.

I have setup my backup job to run every night.  It is setup to create a new recovery point every month.  So, my job creates a new recovery point on the 1st and my server crashes on the 15th.  In order to recover, I will need the original (large) image file created on the 1st and all of the incrementals that are created every day in order to restore myself back to the 15th, right?

2 REPLIES 2

aychekay
Level 5
Partner

You are correct.

You could opt to restore back to day 1 and just use the original backup file to do so. Or you could use the original image file and the next 6 incremental files to restore back to day 7, and so on. But to get to day 15 you would need to use the orignal backup file and the 14 incremental files, and hope that none of them have become corrupted during or after the backup process.

My normal recommendations are this:

• If you have enough storage space, use full backups instead of incrementals.
  • If you choose to use incremental backups, make a new base line backup once a week.

Jacob_A
Level 6
Employee
Aychekay is correct.  It is recommended to take Full backups around one to two weeks apart to minimize restore time and possible data loss from managing large numbers of incrementals.