cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Define Backup Wizard Does Not See Drive

Bruce_Carson
Level 3
Hello,

I am running BESR7 for Server and pushing the client to another file server. Originally I was able to do a full system backup of the C: drive and the D: drive. I am no longer able to do this. I have tried un-installing the client and re-installing the client.

The only drive available for backup is the C: drive. The D: drive which is a partition of the same physical disk does not show up.

I am using the deploy agent wizard to push the client out to the remote machine. I have other servers that this is working fine on. What changed? Why can't I see the D: drive anymore in the "Define Backup Wizard"?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

marcogsp
Level 6
Would the D: partition happen to reside on a dynamic disk? Heavily fragmented? Had CHKDSK /r ran on it recently?

I would strongly advise againt storing your BESR images on the same physical drive you might need to recover later.  It is not a question of if that drive will die, but when.  Unless you have your images stored elseware, you won't be able to recover from the dead drive.

Bruce_Carson
Level 3

Marcogsp,
Thanks for replying.
The D: partition is a basic disk. It is regularly defraged and looks good. It has not had a chkdsk /r run on it recently.
This drive contains data that is being backed up not the backup images. It is on a hardware RAID 1 configuration.
I thought about driver issues but drive C: is consistantly backed up successfully.

marcogsp
Level 6
Bruce -- I'm sorry, I was not paying close attention to your first post when you mentioned that you were backing up both C: and D: partitions.

Similar problem in this post:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/besr-85-server-not-seeing-one-my-drives

Perhaps the solution is similar as well.  Essentially, , destroy the D: partition, recreate the D:
  • Copy the data on the D: drive to a safe location.
  • Destroy the D: partition.
  • Recreate the D: partition with the same drive letter.
  • Copy data back to D: partition from safekeeping location
Afterward, you mave have an extra an invalid copy of the D: drive show up in the BESR console drive list, but it can be removed.  It will be the D: drive that is marked as unavailable.