cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Dismounting Recovery Point

MattReade
Level 3
New install of BESR 2010 on a SBS 2003 R2 Premium server. Running on a Dell PowerEdge 2900 with a Raid 1 setup. Installed BESR without error, got an error during LiveUpdate "GenericMount Helper Service - Could not delete Service" Clicked Ok and LiveUpdate reported that it successfully downloaded and installed all updates. Ran backup job, ok. Recovery point loaded and listed in Explorer as Drive R: When I try to dismount the Recovery point by Right Clicking on it and selecting "Dismount Recovery Point" I get an error "Mount/Dismount Error - Canot retrieve drive information." If I try to "Safely remove USB Mass Storage Device" where the Recovery Point is stored - I get an error "cannot be stopped right now". Is this a known issue? Am I missing a step? Thanks Matt
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

fabio_sanches
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi MattReade,

KB 294949 (Backup Exec System Recovery (BESR) recovery point browser and general error messages) explains that your message error could occur when the Symantec mount manager did not recognize the drive as a mounted recovery point. This error is most commonly reported when another process is attempting to unmount the drive. The error may also occur if the drive is corrupt. Close all disk management programs, and try again to unmount the drive. If the problem persists, restart the computer to allow Windows to re-enumerate all mounted drives.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/294949.htm

Regards,

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

fabio_sanches
Level 4
Hi MattReade,

KB 294949 (Backup Exec System Recovery (BESR) recovery point browser and general error messages) explains that your message error could occur when the Symantec mount manager did not recognize the drive as a mounted recovery point. This error is most commonly reported when another process is attempting to unmount the drive. The error may also occur if the drive is corrupt. Close all disk management programs, and try again to unmount the drive. If the problem persists, restart the computer to allow Windows to re-enumerate all mounted drives.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/294949.htm

Regards,

MattReade
Level 3
Thanks Luke, that article is right on target.

In that article they list several error codes ie.."E0710007"
Where do these codes show up?
  • In the system event log?
  • In a BackupExec log file somewhere?
  • In a pop-up window?
Also, does BESR run any services that might hold open a Recovery Point?

Matt

fabio_sanches
Level 4

Hi Matt,

These codes could be show up at event log, but is recomeded enable the client option "Event Log" at Altiris Console 7.0 -> Manage > Policies, expand the Client Configuration -> Default  Event Log Configuration Policy and enable to "ON" (is recomended also enable "Log File" to have more information about problems).

Please, please mark the first post as a solution, ok?

Thanks,

MattReade
Level 3
Thanks Luke.

After rebooting the server it appears to be working.

I'm reading the manual, so hopefully I won't do anything to cause too many restore points to be opened at the same time.

Matt

MattReade
Level 3
Thanks Luke.

After rebooting the server it appears to be working.

I'm reading the manual, so hopefully I won't do anything to cause too many restore points to be opened at the same time.

Matt