cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error ECB00006 + "Product License Expired" false positive.

JML
Level 2
Using Backup Exec System Recovery 8.5 on a Vista x64 workstation, i receive the following tray errors upon startup
"Error ECB00006: Symantec.ProtectorAuto.1 - COM error number  -2147221005"
If I hold my mousce over the icon in the tray I also see that it says "Product License Expired" althoug this is not the case and th elicense is valid and current.  Tray app funcaitonality and monitor is disabled as a result of this however the app runs backups still.  I do not think this is necessarily a licensing issue but some other issue which causes this error.  Any hwlp would be greatly appreciated.
-J
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JML
Level 2
Thanks for the help.
I actually had to use SubinACL and reset many defaults for Vistax64 to fix this.
-J

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Jon_R
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Before we get started, standard disclaimer;

Warning:Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.

If this workstation is in a domain environment, it is likely caused by a domain permissions issue. The registry entries HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Symantec.ProtectorAuto and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Symantec.ProtectorAuto.1 should have full access and read access for administrators and system, and read access for everyone else. You may not be able to change this directly or you may have to change permissions on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and allow it to trickle down.

To do this, just right click on the registry key and in the drop-down select permissions. Change the permissions on all groups/users to read and make sure that system and administrators have 'Full Control' selected as well. If this is a domain policy, make sure that the domain administrator knows so they can change the policy.

JML
Level 2
Thanks for the help.
I actually had to use SubinACL and reset many defaults for Vistax64 to fix this.
-J