cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evaluate Backup Exec System Recovery

Paul_Defiglio
Level 4
Hi!

I am currently downloading Backup Exec System Recovery to to trial and see if its the solution we need.

We still use Veritas Backup Exec (with the various agents) and tapes for point in time backups and (data) restores but are really looking for a DR solution that will complement this. We currently have a few Windows 2003 servers for Exchange 2003 Server and 2 DC's and File/Print - I would like to easily restore servers to alternative hardware should the need arise (preferably not manually via a rebuild and tape - we have IDR but I would class this as very much manual and to the same server only). Before I make headway would this be a good solution or does it replace tape backups. If this isn't right for use can you suggest any other Veritas product.

How does this work - I presume we would backup to an external device and boot from CD.

Many thanks in advanced.
2 REPLIES 2

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Paul,

Backup Exec System Recovery (BESR) is often used in conjunction with Backup Exec, and some people decide to use one or the other. BESR is the gold standard in DR solutions.

BESR does indeed give you the ability to restore to dissimilar hardware. For instance, if you have a Dell server on its last leg, and you have an HP server on standby ready to go once the server fails, you can simple lay the image from the Dell onto the HP using the BESR RestoreAnywhere option, and the HP will boot up just as the Dell did (with new drivers, of course). This is similar to how how sysprep works.

You would setup BESR to backup to USB, network drive, SAN, NAS, DAS, etc.

In the event of a crash, you would boot from the CD (or other boot method previously set up) into the Symantec Recovery Environment. From there, you can access the recovery points and restore them.

Check this out: http://www.symantec.com/business/playerdetail.jsp?cid=besr_dissimilar_11m&sg=business&type=videos&lg...

Paul_Defiglio
Level 4

Andreas

Thank you for the detailed response. I will see what additional considerations there are for Exchange.