cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with partition problems after restore

chipflyer
Level 2
Hello everyone, I am fighting a problem that maybe someone will have an answer for.  I am trying to move an existing server to new hardware with livestate 7.01.  The old hp server (dl380 g4) had 2 drives mirrored for the OS and a raid 5 set for the big data drive (this was done before my time). I am just planning to mirror 2 drives on the new server and have no raid 5 set. When I move the C: and D: to the new system (dl380 g5) it all boots and everything looks ok, no problems, until you look at disk manager and see that disk 0 is the big partition where the D: drive is and the 20GB boot drive is Disk one, just opposite the way it was on the original server!  I have ttried many things over the last few days and I am stuck, anybody have an idea why this is happening?
4 REPLIES 4

ANONYM0US
Level 4
You could try restoring just the C: partition 1st, then reboot and restore the data drive.
Select the individual image files by 'Filename' rather than by 'System' when restoring.

chipflyer
Level 2
I tried that. Below is what it looks like every time I do a restore.  I restored another server that didn't have the goofy mirror and raid 5 set and it restored to this new server like it should, with the C: drive on 0 and the D: on disk 1.

It is a by-product of the goofy setup on the original server, I just don't know how to fix it.

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hello,

Does this issue represent a functional problem with the server?  I'm not sure why Windows is seemingly ordering the drives in reverse.  If you disconnect the larger drive (temporarily for testing) and only restore the C:\ volume to the smaller drive, does Windows list it as disk 0 or still disk 1?  I guess that would mean opening the server and tinkering with it's drives, and that might not be desireable.

I guess what I'm asking (might sound silly) is will thinks work if they are just left as is?

Thanks.

chipflyer
Level 2
Yes, it does work ok, it just looks goofy. The new configuration is 2 150 GB drives that are mirrored with 2 logical drives so I can't easily disconnect the larger drive, but I get the result you see above if I don't create the big logical drive.  I have restored another machine to the new hardware  that wasn't originally a mirror and a raid 5 set on the same controller and it is correct when done so I know this is not a harware, partitioning or livestate problem but is a result of the original goofy config.

Thanks

Jeff