cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I license my online purchase

Brook_Powers_2
Level 2
Partner
I just purchased and downloaded Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery Windows Small Business Server Edition from the online store.

I'd like to use the Restore Anywhere feature to move my SBS 2003 Standard Edition server to dissimimilar hardware.

The interface states that I need to install a license key or .slf file to enable this feature.

My order statement and confirmation email from Digital River (Symatec's online store) provides only an "Order Number".

I have tried the instructions from the email - they only offer the download again. I have tried licensing.symantec.com portal and it requires both a customer number AND an order number. Thats after waiting 12 hours for the portal to finish its maintnenane outage.

Despite purchasing GOLD SUPPORT with the software - all of Symantec appears to be closed.

Do I need the .slf file to backup and restore to dissimilar hadware? The restore job says "Restore Anywhere Option: Unlicensed". If so, where in the heck do I get it from?

I license SAV twice a week in my job, but I just cant figure out this poorly documented licensing issue. Symnatec's lincensing program could stand some serious improvement.
1 REPLY 1

Michael_Thomp3
Level 3
Symantec License Portal and licensing has enormous failures. We recently purchased System Recovery and backup Exec 11d, everyone of them had issues regarding licensing.

Best thing to do is call the support line for licensing and provide them the order number, they should be able to send you the Serial Number to use to get the SLF file sent. Be warned, ever since BackupExec 11d release, the licensing department takes a very long time to get through to someone. Be prepared for 30min to an hour wait.

Yes you will need to activate to use the RestoreAnywhere feature, which allows the mini-sysprep like setup to dissimilar hardware.