cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does it really work? - Automatic Consolidation of recovery points

Stefan_Davidov
Level 3
I am evaluating Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 Desktop Edition. I've been running a backup policy from BESR Management Solution from a server with weekly creation of recovery point sets, but I'm not quite sattisfied with the resulting volume of data on the network backup destination - roughly 45 GB of recovery data for a single test PC (20 GB of data on HDD, Pentium 4 2.66GHz, 1.5 GB RAM).
I have read the Administrator's Guide twice already (and counting...) and I am bit confused...

The reason I selected a Weekly creation of recovery point sets is the following text:

"The base recovery point and all of its incrementals that are taken up to a point in time are required whenever you want to restore to a specific point in time. Depending on the duration of the backup, there can be a large accumulation of incremental recovery points. You can reduce the amount of needed storage space for the recovery point set by deleting multiple incremental recovery points within a set. The base recovery point and the first and last incremental recovery points are required for a restore and cannot be deleted. Deleting recovery points within a set consolidates the data only, it does not delete data."

That meant for me that I could delete an entire recovery point set when it became 1 month old with the option to "Limit recovery point sets to 4" to minimize disk space and have a consistent backup data 1 month back in time. However backup destination disk space will become an issue if i add 10 more PC's for example. So I wanted to know how exactly the feature Automatic Consolidation works and does it not contradict with the rule to have 1 baseline snapshot and all of the incrementals up to the point in time which I want to recover?

Please feel freee to explain and comment on that topic because I find the information in the Administrator's guide insufficient. Thank You all in advance!
0 REPLIES 0