cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to start Offsite Copy in BESR 2010 using site to site VPN?

bkupadm
Level 3

Hi,

I have a simple question. I am doing daily incremental backups using BESR 2010. Image files data storage at the moment is around 30GB. I have set up a similar server in my data center with VPN connection between "onsite" backup server and "offsite" backup server. What I want to do is to copy data every night to the offsite backup server for disaster recovery.

My problem is the following: because data on onsite backup server is 30GB it takes too long to copy entire data first time using BESR Offsite Copy via VPN network before it starts incremental backups on offsite backup server. Everything works ok on onsite backup server. I want to know what is the best practice to do a first Offsite Copy using BESR when you have 30GB data on one server and no data on the server which you want to use for offsite backups using site to site VPN network.

Copying 30GB data over the network takes too long and fails. If I manually copy data from one server to another (using external USB hard drive) then data on offsite backup is not recognized during incremental backup and it fails on next Offsite Copy. When I try to test recovery on offsite backup server using data (BESR image files) which I manually copied using USB HD, it does not work. It tells me that recovery point does not exist.

Is there a best practice how to do an initial Offsite Copy when starting using this option in BESR?

Please advise.

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you looked at this KB - http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO21392

teiva-boy
Level 6

Last I looked last, there is no way to "seed," backups so as to remove the need to send a full stream of backup data over the WAN link.  This has been a WANT from many BESR customers for years to no avail there is still nothing to solve this issue.

I would search the IDEAS section of the forum, and vote up some of the existing ideas that relate to this topic.