cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot get Ghost 12 to boot from DVD drive in Windows 7

Mike_Buffalo
Not applicable

I need some help. I bought a new Windows 7 desktop. Before I did anything, I used Ghost 12 to ghost the hard drive. I then installed the drive I ghosted into the computer as my C drive and loaded all my software onto the new C drive. I now have my computer setup like I want it to be, so I am trying to re-ghost the C drive with all my software and settings installed. My problem is I cannot get the computer to boot from my copy of ghost 12 in my DVD drive. The computer fully opens up windows 7 to my logon screen. I tried running the ghost exe program with W7 open, but when I get to the last step to ghost the HD I get an error msg. I have tried about a dozen times from full shut down to restart to try to get the computer to boot from the ghost DVD but with no luck. I have reseated the DVD a number of times. When I ghosted the first HD I did not seem to have any real problems. Now that I have all my software loaded I cannot get it to open in the ghost boot. I even disabled my Norton 360, but that did not help. On the other hand, I was also trying to ghost a HD on a Vista computer and it opened up to the ghost boot immediately. I appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Anyone know how I can get W7 to boot from the ghost DVD?

1 REPLY 1

Andreas_Horlach
Level 6
Employee Accredited

This is a BESR /SSR forum. You may want to repost this in the Ghost forums.

The ability to boot to the DVD has nothing to do with the settings within Windows. Typically, you would need to press F2 or F12 during the first few seconds of boot up to get into the BIOS, and then set the boot order of the machine to boot to the DVD first. On many systems, you can also hit a key during boot up to force the BIOS to display a one-time boot device screen from where you can choose the boot to the DVD drive. Whatever the keys necessary for your system, it has to be done before the Windows logo appears, and it takes quick fingers.

Make sure you are booting to the bootable DVD. There are 2 DVD's: One is the installation DVD, the other is the bootable DVD. The installation DVD is not bootable.