cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to tell SSR to not execute missed backups

Anguel
Level 4

Hi!

UPDATE: It turned out that SSR does NOT run missed jobs automatically if the user does not explicitly confirm the prompt. Sorry for the confusion.

Is there a way in Symantec System Recovery to NOT execute missed backups on unattended servers? I know that SSR will prompt the user that there is a missed job and if he wants to run it now. Unfortunately, if there is no user at the server it will automatically RUN the job. I want to prevent this behavior. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Anguel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

I agree with you.

I have tested this, and had it confirmed, if you ignore the system tray message about running a missed backup, the job does NOT automatically run. So it seems what you are seeing is unexpected behavior.

Is this something that you can easily reproduce? If so, please provide details of what operating system and version of SSR you are using. Any other details related to this would also be helpful.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

criley
Employee Accredited

I'm not sure there is a way of doing this. It works this way to ensure that the machine is fully protected in the event a backup is missed for any reason.

What is the reason for wanting to prevent this behavior?

Anguel
Level 4

Reason: To make sure that VM backups are really consistent I want to shutdown my VMs at let's say 2 AM, do the backup and then start up the VMs again (possible through scripts in SSR). Unfortunately, when the server is down during the night for maintenance and I start it up again in the morning, SSR will run the job, i.e. it will shutdown my VMs for backup...

criley
Employee Accredited

Let me look into this but I suspect what you are asking for will be considered an enhancement. I'll get back to you ...

Anguel
Level 4

Thanks Chris,

These are professional products that allow running complex scripts, so there should be a way to make sure that they run only when planned and not at some unspecified point in time if the computer was not running for some reason. Good programmers should think about such things, it is a matter of a simple checkbox.

It also looks like this is possible to achieve in Backup Exec in contrast to SSR (although there is no simple checkbox for this):

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/stop-automatic-running-missed-jobs

Regards,

Anguel

criley
Employee Accredited

I agree with you.

I have tested this, and had it confirmed, if you ignore the system tray message about running a missed backup, the job does NOT automatically run. So it seems what you are seeing is unexpected behavior.

Is this something that you can easily reproduce? If so, please provide details of what operating system and version of SSR you are using. Any other details related to this would also be helpful.

Anguel
Level 4

Chris,

Thank you very much for your help. It looks like the jobs are NOT run automatically when missed. I probably got confused by the fact that our server runs two incremental backups each day and that made me think that the missed backups were run automatically which is not the case. But if I remember correctly the behavior was different in former products like Norton Ghost, also according to Symantec forums.

Thank you again and sorry for the confusion. I have also added an update to my initial post.

Best regards,

Anguel