cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logon loop after recovery - Windows 2000

Cyril_L
Level 3

Hello everybody,

I'm actually facing a problem in my company. We have Windows 2000 servers that we want to upgrade to Windows 2003, and we want to increase the disks spaces ( from 36Gb to 72Gb ).

To make this, I make a system backup of my server using Backup Exec System Recovery 8.5, then I put my new disks, and I try to recover with Backup Exec System Recovery Disk. Everything works fine. However, when my server reboot, I come into the login screen of Windows 2000. After typing my username / password , I have "Load settings" then "Saving settings" and I come back to login screen : I cannot login to my server !

Do you have any idea on that problem ?

Thanks a lot for your help !

Cyril

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cyril_L
Level 3

Here I am !

When I've reboot my server, I still were in the loop ! Once again, I connect myself to the registry of the server and I edited the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\userinit" to "I:\WINNT\system32\userinit.exe" instead of "C:\WINNT\system32\userinit.exe". I was able to login on the server, and the drives were still mixed up.

I decided to test a solution found few days ago (http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/windows-2000-pro-logon-loop-t1499855.html), which consisted in deleting all the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\DosDevices\*" keys. After this, I rebooted again, reset "I:\WINNT\system32\userinit.exe" to "C:\WINNT\system32\userinit.exe" and everything works now !!

Thanks for your help !!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...have you tried to logon using Safe Mode? Or a repair of the OS?

Cyril_L
Level 3

Thanks for your reply !

I don't have a Windows 2k CD at the moment, so I'll try when I'll have one ! But the fact is I don't understand why this error occured...

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Which version of BESR 8 do you use ? Is the server a DC or a member server ?

Cyril_L
Level 3

Hello !

I'm using BESR 8.5 and it is a member server.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Are you running the latest 8.5 version ? 8.5.9 is the latest ?

Cyril_L
Level 3

I am running BESR 8.5.5. The strange fact is I did this operation with a same type server ( HP BL20P G3 ) and it worked...

May be my options are not correct ? I have 2 partitions on my servers -> C: and I:

To restore C: , I use those options : Set active , Restore disk signature, Restore MBR

To restore I:, I only use Restore disk signature option !

My disks are clean when I run the recovery (diskpart -> clean )...

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Looks quite correct. Are you able to boot into safe mode ? Maybe something with autrun ? Do you restore to similar or dissimliar hardware ?

Cyril_L
Level 3

In safe mode the server is booting but when I type username / password of local administrator the loop is still here. And I restore to similar hardware, except the disks which have a higher space (with same disks it is the same... ) :\

I've just connect to the registry of the server with my machine and I've seen that there is a strange value. The key "HKLM_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\SystemRoot" is set to I:\WINNT . It wouldn't be set to "C:\WINNT" ?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

So it seems that the drives have been mixed up. Try to restore the two volumes separately, first the systempartition, then the other one.

Cyril_L
Level 3

I'll try to do what you tell me to do : restore first drive, reboot, restore second drive, reboot and see what happen !

Cyril_L
Level 3

Here I am !

When I've reboot my server, I still were in the loop ! Once again, I connect myself to the registry of the server and I edited the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\userinit" to "I:\WINNT\system32\userinit.exe" instead of "C:\WINNT\system32\userinit.exe". I was able to login on the server, and the drives were still mixed up.

I decided to test a solution found few days ago (http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/windows-2000-pro-logon-loop-t1499855.html), which consisted in deleting all the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\DosDevices\*" keys. After this, I rebooted again, reset "I:\WINNT\system32\userinit.exe" to "C:\WINNT\system32\userinit.exe" and everything works now !!

Thanks for your help !!

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

You're welcome !