cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitoring Symantec System Recovery using SNMP

Oliver_Buckie
Level 4

Symantec System Recovery (2010/2011) has the option to use SNMP-traps. On our Windows Server 2008 R2 we installed the SNMP-Service feature and configured the SNMP-Service Traps & Security.

We now wish to configure our Nagios/Opsview server to monitor these snmp-traps but have run into problems. Steps which we have currently done:

• Copied the SSR-MIB.mib (found in the Support dir of the Symantec CD) to the /usr/share/snmp/mibs directory
  • Restarted snmp (/etc/init.d/snmpd restart)
  • Created a new service check:
    check_snmp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -C $SNMP_COMMUNITY$ -m BESR-MIB -o .1.3.6.1.4.1.1302.3.1.4.4.2::messageText

However, I get the following error:
External command error: .1.3.6.1.4.1.1302.3.1.4.4.2::messageText: Unknown Object Identifier

I would like to have the "messageText" string displayed in my status informaiton. I think I am using the incorrect Object ID or snmp syntax.

Thanks for your help.

2 REPLIES 2

snecker
Not applicable

Hello,

Did you get this working?

We are also trying to integrate Nagios and Backup Exec/Symantec System Recovery.

Regards

TRaj
Level 6
Employee Accredited

To configure Backup Exec System Recovery to send SNMP traps

1 On the Tasks menu, click Options.

1. Under Notifications, click SNMP Trap.

3 Click the Select the priority and type of messages list and select the priority level at which traps should be generated.

• All messages
  • Medium and high priority messages
  • High priority messages only
  • No messages

4 Select one or more of the

following options:

■ Errors

■ Warnings

■ Information

5 Select the version of SNMP traps to be sent (Version 1 or Version 2), and then

click OK.

Monitoring the status of your backups

Configuring Backup Exec System Recovery to send SNMP traps