cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Agents to a New Server

JohnK
Level 3
Partner Accredited
I had about 15 PCs running BESR 2010 agents and reporting to BESR 2010 installed on an SBS 2003 server. We replaced the server with a new SBS 2008 server and migrated all the clients to the new domain. I've tried re-deploying the agents to the client PCs from the BESR 2010 console on the SBS 2008 server, but I can never connect to the agent. Is there a way to move these agents or will they each have to be uninstalled and reinstalled?
2 REPLIES 2

fabio_sanches
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi JohnK

I will describe two methods that you can use to move de Altiris Agent for a new server:

1) If your old server is on the network and the clients remains comunicating with him:
  • Access the Altiris Console 7.0 (http:\\servername\Altiris\Console)
  • Click on Settings -> Agents/Plug-ins-> Targeted Altiris Agent
  • Select the policy name and go to Advanced Tab
  • Click at Specify and alternate URL for the Altiris Agent to use the NS:
  • Configure the Server Name with the new server name:

2) If your old server is out:
Use the following comand line to determine the new server on each agent:
  • \Program Files\Altiris\Altiris Agent\Aexagentutil.exe /server:NEW_SERVER_NAME

Replace the NEW_SERVER_NAME by the servername or ip address of new server. The parameter /server is used to sets the NS Server that each agent will comunicate.

- You could make this manually or by script, like logon script

Regards,

JohnK
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Sorry, Luke, but you have me really confused.  I am supposing that BESR is based on the Altiris product, but even if it is, BESR 2010 does not create an Altiris directory on the client.  All that the clients have is C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery.

And on the server, there does not appear to be an Altiris website directory.

Maybe these suggestions worked with an earlier version of BESR, but they do not appear to appy to the 2010 version.  Am I missing something??

JK