cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to change BEWSRv12.5 Manager Database Port (8443) and Web Port (8080)

Doug_Laskosky
Level 4
Partner

I am trying to configure BEWSR 8.5 on a SBS2003r2.

Previously installed SEPv11 manager using ports 8443 & 8080. I also have BEWSv12 running on this server. These two products have been cohabitating for several months now.

Today I installed BEWSRv8.5, upon launching the manager application I receive a login failure. After some investigation I have determined that BEWSR & SEP are trying to use the same ports for database & web services. I would like to change the ports used by BEWSR in order to launch the manager. I have changed the port#'s according to the information located in message ID #73384 https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=besr_manager&message.id=58&query.id=73384#...

However the Web Service still crashes after 30 seconds or so. As I can access the SEP manager I want to leave those ports as is.

How can I change ports?

3 REPLIES 3

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Please be aware of the following document: http://support.veritas.com/docs/301077 There are steps that has had some success in getting the two applications to coexist on the same system that you can obtained from Symantec Technical support by opening a new support ticket with them, but for the long term in my experience I recommend that they be on their own separate servers.

Doug_Laskosky
Level 4
Partner

Yes and we all can afford to purchase a seperate server to run each of our Symantec applications.

I am not asking the impossible. I have several clients that run Small Business Servers (SBS) that require multiple solutions that can co-exist in the same environment. Using one manufacture, one would hope, would be able to provide tested solutions. Did anyone not think that small businesses would not want to run both an antivirus and system recovery solution together? I will attempt to open a case with tech support. I will also continue to use the discussion forums, because we users tend to find answers first.

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The error occurs due to port conflicts between Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM) and Backup Exec System Recovery Manager (BESRM) when both are installed on the same system.

1. Install ESPM (this allows you to login to ESPM).

2. Install BESRM (Cannot login to BESRM - Error )

3. Reboot If prompted by BESRM to reboot the system after installation.

4. Stop the BESRM Database Service and BESRM Web Service.

5. Modify ports in the server.xml file located \Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Manager\Services\tomcat\conf
   -Change the "Server Port" from 8005 to any unused ports (for example: 8105)
   -Change the "non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector port" 8080 to any unused ports (for example: 8081)
   -Change the "SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector port" 8443 to any unused ports (for example: 8445)
   -Save the file.

6. Modify the port in the DbAccess.properties file located \Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Manager\Services\tomcat\WebApps\axis\WEB-INF\bmgr
    Change: "Port=2638 to any unused ports (for example: "Port=2648")

7, Open BESRM. Select "Settings". Change "Secure Server Port from 8443 to 8445 and the "Port for viewing log files" from 8080 to 8081 as shown in step 5. Select OK (leave the login dialog open).

8 . Select Start > Run type "regedit" (without quotes. Press enter) Navigate to the following registry key:
   HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Services\SBESRMASA\Parameters
   Double click the parameters key in the right pane - see the change in Bold (using the example port "2648" shown in step 6):

Before:
   -ct -zl -ti 0 -tl 0 -x tcpip(LocalOnly=yes) -n sbesrm*2K3DAN2 "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Manager\Services\Database\rmdb.db"

After:
   -ct -zl -ti 0 -tl 0 -x tcpip(LocalOnly=yes;port=2648) -n sbesrm*2K3DAN2 "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Manager\Services\Database\rmdb.db"

9. Restart BESRM Database Service and BESRM Web Service.

10. Once these steps are completed login to BESRM. If the error "Axis could not find the target service to invoke" occurs, stop BESRm services again, modify and run the redeploy.bat as mentioned below:
   -Edit redeploy.bat file located file \Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery\Manager\Services\tomcat\WebApps\axis\WEB-INF\bmgr as follows:
   -Change the port from 8080 to 8081 on both lines. Save the file.
   -At a command prompt change to the directory to the bmgr shown above (NOTE: user must run this batch file from the "bmgr" folder at a command prompt).
   -At the command prompt, from the bmgr folder, type "redeploy.bat" (without quotes) <press enter>

11. Once the batch file has completed, start BESRm service once again and login to BESRM console.

NOTE: At this point, all EasyInstaller packages should be removed, and new ones creates to ensure the new ports are being used for EasyInstaller packages.