cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noob question re: BESR

Jon_Sumida
Level 5
My company recently put me in charge of a backup solution for desktops. I am looking at BESR for desktops, but am wondering what is the difference between:

- BackupExec Desktop

and

- BackupExec System Recovery Desktop Edition

Sorry if this is a dumb question :)

Also, if my goal is to have a snap shot image type backup of my desktop clients that is done automatically on a schedule and stored to an NAS or some other large online storage device, would BESR for desktops be what I am looking for?
2 REPLIES 2

marcogsp
Level 6
Thee answer to you last question is yes.  BESR is a sector level imaging tool, that can also do rudimentary file/folder backups too.  BESR is best suited as a disaster recovery tool for recoving an entire systems after they crash or die.  It is also possible to recover just files and folders from the images.  IMHO, the file and folder backup capabilities of BackupExec are better than those of BESR

BackupExec Desktop is a file and folder level backup tool.  If your budget allows, you can actually run the two products on the same computer.  You would use BESR to capture a distater recovery image periodically, and use BackupExec to backup important files and folders.  If you needed to recover the system from scratch, you would use BESR to bring the system back to life, and BackupExec to restore the files and folders t o the point of the most current backup

Jon_Sumida
Level 5
Excellent. Thank you for the answer. I guess I'll look at BESR for the time being.