cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BESR 8.5

Ikonoclast
Not applicable
Dear All,
     I have just downloaded a 60 day trial copy of BESR 8.5 and installed it on my Exchange server which also doubles as a Domain Controller. My aim is to be able to backup and restore the Active Directory info, Mailbox info (on granular level) as well as general data on the server.
What other agents / options do I need in order to achieve the above goals? Do they come integrated in the trial download or do I have to download additional software?
Your help will very much be appreciated. Thanks.
Anthony
1 REPLY 1

marcogsp
Level 6
BESR does not have the ability to restore Active Directory components on a granular level.  You would need the Granulare Restore Option to restore Exchange mailboxes/mail and SharePoint items.  I'm not sure if GRO is available for trial use.  It is possible to restore individual files and folders from the BESR images, and it does have the capability to do just file and folder backups.

BESR works best as an en masse disaster recovery tool and as a rudimentary file and folder backup tool.  I would recommend Backup Exec for Windows Servers for the type of granualar recovery you require.  It has agents for Exchange and AD that will allow you to do granular recovery.  You can also do backup to disk with BEWS as well.  The advantage that BESR has over BEWS is that it can restore an image of a server to dissimilar hardware using the Restore Anyware option.  Restore Anyware is integrated into the product already, so there is notheing else to purchase once the product is licensed.