cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Norton Ghost 14-Missing Drivers when creating Symantec Recovery Disk

Rocket28
Level 3
When I try to create a second Norton Ghost 14 Symantec Recovery, I get the following drivers showing as missing:

The Bluetooth LAN Driver is for speakers distant from my PC to play music and the NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller Driver is for my Internet access.  I have no idea what the Qos Packet Scheduler is for.

Should I use the Custom Option to create my second Recovery Disk and leave all of these drivers out of the disk?  I don't see how I would need them to recover my "C" drive in an emergency.

In the past when I used the Automatic Option, the process gave me the Blue Screen of Death after trying to create the Temporary ISO file.
3 REPLIES 3

Rocket28
Level 3
That QoS Packet Scheduler is used to prioritize online sessions and is not necessary to restore my "C" drive either.  Thus, I tried to proceed using the Custom path to create the SRD.  After  I removed the three drivers (one to access distant speakers, the next to access the Internet via my Cable connection and the last to prioritize online sessions) the option to proceed to create the disk was grayed out.

Therefore it appears I cannot create a copy of the SRD and the original I received with my purchase of Norton Ghost 14 will just have to be my only SRD.  I use an external Seagate USB 500 Gb drive to store my Restore Points.  I use Norton Ghost 14 to just do incremental backups of my entire "C" drive and I use Genie Backup for my incremental, uncompressed file backups which can be accessed for restorations without using any software.  If I purchased a new PC, I would have to use those incremental file backups anyway to get my data back and reinstall all my applications.

If my "C" drive fails, I will first attempt to restore it using my original SRD. 

If the Norton SRD failed to work for my original PC, I could reinstall Windows XP, install Norton Ghost 14 and then recover my "C" drive using the Norton Incremental Restore Points.

If any Norton employees read this, please reply to confirm my last assumptions.

Thanks.

Rocket28
Level 3
I did run a boot test with the original SRD and was able to reach my Restore Point on the Seagate USB FreeAgent 500 Gb drive.

However, I notice within Norton Ghost 14 on my desktop it does not recognize my drive as a Destination although it does backup up to it.  The external drive is an NTFS formatted drive.  When I had an older Seagate 150 Gb FAT 32 drive, Norton Ghost did recognize it as a Destination.

Is it possible that Norton Ghost 14 simply can't recognize NTFS destinations?

Rich_L
Level 6
Employee
Rocket28,

You are correct in your research on the three items.  QoS Packet Scheduler is a base default item that should be included with Windows XP/2003.  The nForce driver can be loaded after a retarget.  This would only affect you if the machine requires network communication prior to the first login (generally only machines such as AD/DC and Exchange).  Bluetooth can always be loaded afterwards.
It should not cause issues to include all 3 of these drivers.  I would only include the nForce driver, personally.  The three drivers (QoS, nForce, and Bluetooth) should not cause any complications if they are not included in the SRD.

The Ghost 14 is compatible with FAT and NTFS file systems.  Remember FAT has a 4GB file size limit, therefore we recommend the external be formatted NTFS.

I hope this information helps.

Rich L