cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One BESR Master Server to backup 3 different segments (VLAN)

cedric
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi All,

My firewall is preventing the BESR Master server to connect the network. Our Network/Windows Administrators failed to sort the issue because of the NAT. So I'm thingking of a solution below besides buying a BESR core application on each segment.

I have 1 BESR server and I want to backup 3 different segments. Is it possible to place the BESR server on segment "A" and then change the IP of the same BESR server and place it to another segment "B" so as to backup the clients of that segment?

Please advise.

4 REPLIES 4

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Please follow the steps outlined in the following technote on communications between the differnt VLANs http://support.veritas.com/docs/294526 you might want to consider using the Backup Exec System Recovery Manager when working across VLANs

cedric
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi David,

We have done what was in the technotes and still we had problems. Actually, a support engineer also help us but we had to close the case because of the issue not resolved.

I'm also going to purchase the BESRM. I still don't know how to use it but that could be learned. But David, it is possible to transfer one BESRM master server from one segment to another to backup my clients right? 

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
BESRM uses a managment control (MC) agent to mediate between the BESR agent (that which makes the backups) and the controlling console. This MC agent does well working across subnets and VLANS.

cedric
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi David,

I have a BESRM installed on a VLAN, I install the package to one of the clients but I cannot see the client after the installtion was complete. I open the client BESR, check the services and still unable to view this client from the BESRM console. Do I need to open Ports used by BESRM & BESR on the VLAN?

FYI:

BESRM cannot remotely connect to the BESR Client.

BESR Client can be ping (with reply) from the BESRM Server cmd prompt.

BESRM belongs to the same VLAN with BESR Client.

BESRM belongs to a workgroup and BESR Client belongs to a domain.

BESRM windows account credential is only administrator to that server. No privs on the VLAN.

Any suggestions?