Did you mean: 

Question regarding P2V and V2P

pablo_verdina
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Smiley MadQuestion regarding P2V and V2PSmiley Mad

I understand there is a command line utility to convert

From V2P (Virtual to Physical)

Does anyone have any documentation or info about this?

Another one, on version 7 the sv2i (new format) is not compatible

With VMWare importer and the option we have on the GUI is only

to convert  a sv2i to Virtual Disk.

Does anyone know how to work with this?

On the Symantec web site says P2V and V2P, but I could not find any information

Regarding this matter.

I will appreciate any comments.

Thank You.

7 REPLIES 7

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hello,

I will try and answer as many of your questions as I can.

Command line utility to covert from physical to virtual
Converting from physical to virtual using Backup Exec System Recover (BESR) is usually achieved via the products interface directly.  In the "Tools" section of BESR 7.0 there's an option to "Convert to Virtual Disk", that allows for recovery points (.v2i files) to be converted to .VMDK or to .VHD formats.  The other way to do this is using the scripting interface for BESR 7.0.  Going this route would likely require some degree of scripting or engineering experience.

V2i files created with BESR 7.0 cannot be imported into VMWare
We are currently working with VMWare to enable our current recovery points (current meaning created with BESR 7.0) compatible with the latest versions of their products.  We hope to have more information on this topic soon.

Please let me know if I've missed any of your questions.

Thanks.

the_dougle
Not applicable
I am currently trying to automate the conversion process from sv2i to vmdk files using Visual Basic Script.

I have created a Protector Auto Object, connected to the local agent, set the network location and created a P2vSystemInfo Object and set the file to load and destination conversion type (assuming that is the string "vmdk" - the documentation about this is very limited).

Now all I want to do is run the conversion - but how?  The only functions for this object are:

VT_VOID LoadSv2iFile(IImageLocation sv2iLocation)
VT_EMPTY GetLocation(VT_I4 diskId)
VT_VOID SetLocation(VT_I4 diskId, IImageLocation newLocation)

Do I need to create a different object to run the job? And if so what?

Thanks,

Simon.

JasonBel
Level 3
Hi, ok for P2V but how to do V2P?  Is it by using the disk recovery and boot from it?

Thanks

Jason

Message Edited by JasonBel on 09-24-2007 07:37 AM

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Hello,

V2P is done by booting the physical system with the recovery disk.  You can either restore a recovery point generated from the virtual machine, or you can restore the vmdk file directly (the recovery disk will allow you to select a recovery point or a vmdk file to restore).

Thanks.

JasonBel
Level 3
Thanks for the answer Bill but is restore anyware also available from virtual to physical?  Do I have any option to chose it?  On the backup exec file I'm having the restore anyware option enabled but is I'm doing virtual to physical is it suppose to be restore anyware too?

Thanks

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Hello,

Yes, the restore anyware feature is available for V2P operations.  Any recovery point, whether generated from a physical machine or a virtual machine, can be restored using the restore anyware feature (as long as BESR was properly licensed when the recovery point was created).

Thanks.

casmered
Not applicable
Employee
I noticed off of the IProtectorAuto4 interface, there is a ConvertSystem method described as:

VT_VOID ConvertSystem(VT_DISPATCH pP2vSystemInfo)
Use the specified P2vSystemInfo object to convert a physical system to a virtual one.

I am trying to get this figured out myself right now.  So I am in the process of setting up the P2vSystemInfo object and then attempt to use this method.  The method is on the interface so shouldn't it be available through the object?

I'll take any help you can send my way if you continue to go down this road.  Thanks.