cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring to larger hard drives but same hardware system will not boot

brandon_dillon
Level 2

I made an image using BESR 8.0 on a Dell power edge sc1430 running SBS 2003 Sp1 the server has a SAS controller with two 75 gig hard drives in it and 2 partitions C and D. I made an image and put in the new drives which are 500 gig Seagates SATA drives, created the mirror booted from the recovery CD and restored the images. everything went fine but now the server wont boot it just sits there. I cant even get a into safe mode or do anything of that nature it just sits there blinking cursor but its responsive its not locked up. any help would be greatly appreciated

Brandon

1 REPLY 1

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Did you use the Restore Anyware Option (RAO) in your restore attempt? Since the controller hasn't changed, just its drives, I would wipe the drive using diskpart | Clean option, restore w/o RAO option enabled and starting off the wizard using the VIEW | filename option, select my C, restore, go back through the wizard and restore my D then reboot out of the recovery environment. Be sure that the restore options you use are the following:

SYSTEM:

[ ] Verify recovery point before restore
[ ] Check for file system errors after restore
[X] Resize drive to fill unallocated space (SPECIFY SIZE IN MB)
[X] Set drive active
[X] Partition type: Primary (often grayed out)
[X] Restore original disk signature
[ ] Preserve domain trust token on destination
[X] Restore MBR

DATA:

[ ] Verify recovery point before restore
[ ] Check for file system errors after restore
[X] Resize drive to fill unallocated space (LEAVE VALUE TO FILL OUT REST OF DRIVE SPACE)
[ ] Set drive active
[X] Partition type: Primary (often grayed out)
[X] Restore original disk signature
[ ] Preserve domain trust token on destination
[ ] Restore MBR