Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SBS 2003 Error EA390610 and EA3905F9 on Restore with SBESR v8.5.1

GFX
Level 3
Partner

Hi

We have been trying to upgrade HDD on our SBS 2003 for the last couple of days.

and have not been sucesfull, we have try diferent external HDD to do the cold backups.

and also doing a CHKDSK on both partitions C and D.

The system has a RAID 5 and we have done a HDD upgrade before with out any problems.

Has any one seen this errors before, I have been looking online for a solution, next step is to call Symantec.

Thanks,

GFX

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GFX
Level 3
Partner
Hmmm good point, I will try later on a test machine.

and let you know what happen, in the mean time we have manage to upgrade the server by recovering C partition first and then boot server and format D and E (this is a new partition)  partitions and revovering the files to D. Reboot server and recover C again to eliminate any issues since we have the Exchange DataBase in D.
( WOW tire of all the moving around and rebooting the server long week end o wait its over!!!)

Did this on Friday night and all is well up to now, let see if I run in to any issues.

GFX

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

marcogsp
Level 6

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/powerquest.nsf/pfdocs/2004099566033362?Open&docid=2004099566033362&nsf=powerquest.nsf&view=0

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/powerquest.nsf/6c360f88152ecfce88256e91005066ac/cbdfa2e78eb4ad4688256e75007c5347?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

Possibly a partition resizing error due to some corruption in the disk and file structures.  When you ran CHKDSK, did you run it with the /f switch?  Did you run it on both the source and target drives?  When running this on the source drive, you'll most likely be prompted to have CHKDSK run at boot time.  You could also do this from the SRD before making a cold image. For a more thorough check, you should run "CHKDSK /r"   The /r switch implies /f and will also check the file and free space sections for errors.

GFX
Level 3
Partner

Well try the suggestion and did not work.

any more suggestions?

even try disimilar hardware the issue is theres something wrong with the drives that CHKDSK is not seen, well have to really ponder on this one.

thanks for the suggestion marcogsp

GFX

marcogsp
Level 6

At this point I'm assuming that you have been unsuccessful with both hot and cold imaging techniques.  Have you tried the advanced optiions to ignore bad sectors and remove drivers?

You mentioned earlier that hard drive upgrades were succesful in the past.  Are you absolutely certain that the hard drives, both old and new, are compatible with your RAID controller and/or RAID controller drivers?  Sometimes the the health monitoring components of modern hard drives can wreak havok with some RAID and drive controllers and/or their drivers.  There may also be a more compatible driver available for the SRD.  Try looking for a driver that is MS Vista/Server 2008 compatible and build a custom SRD with the new drivers integrated

GFX
Level 3
Partner
Hmmm good point, I will try later on a test machine.

and let you know what happen, in the mean time we have manage to upgrade the server by recovering C partition first and then boot server and format D and E (this is a new partition)  partitions and revovering the files to D. Reboot server and recover C again to eliminate any issues since we have the Exchange DataBase in D.
( WOW tire of all the moving around and rebooting the server long week end o wait its over!!!)

Did this on Friday night and all is well up to now, let see if I run in to any issues.

GFX

GFX
Level 3
Partner