cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR 2011 - A Few Basic Questions

dale_m1
Level 4

Hello,

I am a current user of BESR 2010, having the product installed on a number of servers and workstations.  I am not currently using the Management Solution component - all installations are peformed and configured individually.  I tried to access the SSR 2011 realease notes referenced elsewhere on this forum, but presently the link does not seem to be working.  Given this, I have a few questions I am hoping someone might be able to answer (the installation questions did not seem to be addressed in the SSR 2011 User Guide downloaded with the product files);

1.)  Is it safe to assume that none of the basic functionality of BESR 2010 (the client piece) has been lost in the repackaging/renaming to SSR 2011?

2.)  Can systems currently running BESR 2010 SP1 or SP2 be directly upgraded to SSR 2011 by running the SSR 2011 Product Disk installation routine?

3.)  If the answer to (2) above is yes, does the installation preserve existing backup jobs, history logs, schedules, etc. on the local machine?

4.)  If the answer to (2) above is yes, will SSR 2011 successfully incorporate existing BESR 2010 backup files, or will SSR 2011 need to start with a clean backup file destination drive?

5.)  If the answer to (2) above is no, what is the recommended procedure for upgrading standalone systems from BESR 2010 to SSR 2011?

6.)  Will a SSR 2011 System Recovery Disk function properly with backup files created using BESR 2010?

7.)  Is the Management Solution component of SSR 2011 essentially the same Altiris based item that it was in BESR 2010?

Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Here are the answers to your queries:

1.)  Is it safe to assume that none of the basic functionality of BESR 2010 (the client piece) has been lost in the repackaging/renaming to SSR 2011?

YES its Safe. When you perform the upgrade from BESR 2010 to SSR 2011, all the jobs, jobs settings, destination settings will remain the same.

2.)  Can systems currently running BESR 2010 SP1 or SP2 be directly upgraded to SSR 2011 by running the SSR 2011 Product Disk installation routine?

YES. You can directly upgrade from BESR 2010 SP1/SP2 to SSR 2011by running the SSR 2011 Product Disk installation routine?

3.)  If the answer to (2) above is yes, does the installation preserve existing backup jobs, history logs, schedules, etc. on the local machine?

YES. When you perform the upgrade from BESR 2010 to SSR 2011, all the existing backup jobs, history logs, schedules, etc will remain on the server where you are performing the upgrade. Also these settings will be used in SSR 2011.

4.)  If the answer to (2) above is yes, will SSR 2011 successfully incorporate existing BESR 2010 backup files, or will SSR 2011 need to start with a clean backup file destination drive?

YES. SSR 2011 will successfully incorporate existing BESR 2010 backup files in SSR 2011 and need not start with a clean backup file destination drive. Also its alwayes recommended that you perform a FULL backup before and also after the upgrade.

5.)  If the answer to (2) above is no, what is the recommended procedure for upgrading standalone systems from BESR 2010 to SSR 2011?

------

6.)  Will a SSR 2011 System Recovery Disk function properly with backup files created using BESR 2010?

YES. SRD of SSR 2011 will function with BESR 2010 backup files.

7.)  Is the Management Solution component of SSR 2011 essentially the same Altiris based item that it was in BESR 2010?

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Here are the answers to your queries:

YES its Safe. When you perform the upgrade from BESR 2010 to SSR 2011, all the jobs, jobs settings, destination settings will remain the same.

YES. You can directly upgrade from BESR 2010 SP1/SP2 to SSR 2011by running the SSR 2011 Product Disk installation routine?

YES. When you perform the upgrade from BESR 2010 to SSR 2011, all the existing backup jobs, history logs, schedules, etc will remain on the server where you are performing the upgrade. Also these settings will be used in SSR 2011.

YES. SSR 2011 will successfully incorporate existing BESR 2010 backup files in SSR 2011 and need not start with a clean backup file destination drive. Also its alwayes recommended that you perform a FULL backup before and also after the upgrade.

------

YES. SRD of SSR 2011 will function with BESR 2010 backup files.

Thanks,

-Sush...

dale_m1
Level 4

Sush,

Thank you very much for the prompt and thorough reply.  This gives me some additional confidence that I might want to do the upgrade sooner than later.

Thanks again,

Dale

Linas
Level 6

Ware can I find more information on

“You can directly upgrade from BESR 2010 SP1/SP2 to SSR 2011by running the SSR 2011 Product Disk installation routine?” 

I would like to upgrade but nor sure on the procedure?

criley
Employee Accredited

Linas,

It's simple; just start the SSR 2011 install and follow the prompts...

Linas
Level 6

I never had a simple install with Symantec products it always had to work with support and it took them several hours with advice from other support at Symantec to get an install to be successful

This is not the desktop version you are talking about correct we are talking about the Management server rite?

Just run setup?

I will try it and let you know what happens

criley
Employee Accredited

This is not the desktop version you are talking about correct we are talking about the Management server rite?

No, I'm only talking about the desktop/server edition. As you probably know, the management solution is much more complex - refer to the admin guide for more details on this process.

Linas
Level 6

Ok so we established ssr2011ms is what I am working on

So I should consult the admin guide to upgrade the management server from BESR2010MS to SSR2011MS

Prosperity_CU
Level 3

We are planning to upgrade to SSR 2011 very soon, I ran a test upgrade on our test server running BESR2010 sp2.  The install went "ok" I had to kill the "explorer.exe" process for it to validate and continue installing.

Afterwards the server boots fine, SSR just never starts up.  I can get a splash screen from it, it prompts me to give it an install key (i'm not going to put in an install key for a test install so I select trial) click next, I don't run the live update (test server is not connected to the network) click finish.  I can repeat that process a number of times and never get a console.

Symantec services are all running when I check services.msc, no running processes though.

Going to try to same process in safe mode and see what happens. 

Test server is an IBM x236 running SBS 2008 standard (its a restore of our production DC)

Jason

criley
Employee Accredited

Jason,

As this thread is already marked as solved, I would suggest that you start a new thread (if you have anymore problems that is).