cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR 2011: Unable to connect to agent. -> automatic reboot

MASIAlbert
Level 3

I've been having a very odd problem on some, not all, of the SSR 2011 installations.

On three different machines (out of 50+), when 10:00am on the machine rolls around, a little window in the bottom right will pop up with a message:

Symantec System Recovery 2011

Unable to connect to the agent.  Service is not running...

The window goes away, and moments later, the computer reboots automatically.  It can't be stopped.  This happens whenever the clock strikes 10am, which greatly frustrated end users when in the middle of working, the message would pop up and then the computer would reboot before they could save anything.

I even turned back the clock to 9:58, rebooted, and then when the clock strikes 10am, it reboots again.

Event Viewer shows that Symantec System Recovery 2011 initiates the reboots.  However, I cannot figure out why it is doing it.

Troubleshooting steps taken:

1.  Multiple times, clean uninstalled and then reinstalled Symantec Management Agent (Altiris Agent), System Recovery 2011 Management Solution Plug-in, and Symantec System Recovery 2011 in case it was a installation problem.  Still reboots. 

2.  Uninstalled just SSR 2011.  Even when this was done, the computer still reboots until Symantec Management Agent (Altiris Agent) is uninstalled.

3.  Disabled antivirus.  Still reboots.

4.  It is not due to an incomplete installation.  Backups were run from client successfully, so the installation was successful.  I also checked registry entries governing restarts from installation file renames, etc.  Nothing there.

I can't figure this out for the life of me.  Finally just had to uninstall SSR 2011 (especially the Agent) so there aren't backups on those endpoints.  Has anyone come across this?

2 REPLIES 2

lmosla
Level 6

see if 'Install With User Interface with automatic restart' policy is turned on.  this will reboot the Machine if the SSR plug in keeps trying to install. If it is then turn it off. it is located under the Packages and Policies tab
1. Click Start, All Programs, Symantec, Solutions and launch Symantec System Recovery 2011 Management Solutions.

2. Click on the Packages and Policies tab.

3. Under Symantec System Recovery 2011, click on Install Without User Interface

4. Click the button and select Off , then click Save Changes.

5. Under Symantec System Recovery 2011, click on Install With User Interface

6. Click the button and select Off , then click Save Changes.

referenced: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH157248

MASIAlbert
Level 3

I bet this is it; the Install With User Interface-Automatic restart is On, and the time is 10:00am.

Why would it do it for only a few computers? 

Anyway, I will try it on the user's computer if he can spare it and respond.