cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSR 2013 Peformance Registry Keys

Marcrp
Level 5

Hi

I maybe a bit premature but having downloaded and installed SSR 2013 it seems the backups are slower and in previous versions I had to import some registry keys to improve performance.

Will keys be available for 2013?

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

criley
Employee Accredited

Let me check on this and get back to you..

PravinAmin
Level 5
Employee
Hi Marc, The registry keys of 32-bit which you imported on SSR 2011 should be still applicable for SSR 2013 on both 32-bit and 64-bit servers. I'm attaching the .reg files here for your reference. -Thanks, Pravin

Marcrp
Level 5
Many thanks I will give them a try. I was thinking of trying the old ones but when I looked at the entries they reference to version 10 and I thought they would of been updated.

criley
Employee Accredited

The following has been updated with the 2013 keys:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH171456

Marcrp
Level 5
Thanks for this. I noticed there is no 64bit registry keys in the mentioned zip file?

criley
Employee Accredited

I'm following up on this.

Will get back to you...

PravinAmin
Level 5
Employee
Hi Marc, As SSR 2013 is native 64-bit application, its registry entries are created under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec instead HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node which was the case with prior BESR/SSR versions on 64-bit OS. Due to this change the registry paths are common for both 32-bit and 64-bit environments. Hope this clarifies your query. -Thanks, Pravin

Fernando_Vinan-
Level 4

Just curious after looking in the reg files for SSR2013:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\10.0\Sme]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\10.0\Sme]
"v2i buffered"=dword:00000000

but shouldn't the refrence to "\10.0\Sme" now be \11.0\Sme as the former doesn't exist on a new system install.

I appreciate the reg import will create it but will SSR2013 use it?

Marcrp
Level 5
I was also wondering this as I've imported the keys but my backups don't appear to be any quicker.

criley
Employee Accredited

I've raised this internally. Will get back to you on this...

PravinAmin
Level 5
Employee

Hi,

We are checking this internally. Can you please let us know wow much difference you are observing in backup performance w.r.to SSR 2011 and SSR 2013 as well as system configuration?

-Thanks,

Pravin

PravinAmin
Level 5
Employee

Hi Marc,

Can you please provide your inputs on differences of performance and system configuration?

-Thanks,

Pravin

Marcrp
Level 5

Hi

Sorry for the late reply.

Having left the backups for a few days, it appears that the backup times have now settled down. I would say they are the same backup times as when we had SSR 2011 running on our servers.

I can't say that they are any faster (The product says up to 15% faster) than SSR2011 but they are no worse.

I'm not entirely sure if the registry keys made any difference or not.

For some background information all our servers are running on VMWare and have now been upgraded to SSR2013.

PravinAmin
Level 5
Employee
Hi Marc, Thanks for the update. -Pravin