cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery Server Edition Trial (and tribulations)

pensoft
Level 3
Where to begin?...

We got our hands on a trial of Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery Server Edition, only to discover the trial doesn't actually let you test the hardware-independent restore capability.  So essentiall, we've got a trial of Backup Exec and if I wanted to trial that, I'd have downloaded that instead.  So the question: Is there some reason why I can't get a copy of Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery Server Edition that let's me test it the way I expect to use it?

I realize this isn't strictly the most appropriate venue for this question, but I've scoured the Symantec site and can't find a way to contact anyone in sales.  The upshot is I've had a chance to see the problems other people are having with this product.  I'm no fan of Acronis, but at least I can get their sales people on the phone.

Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9

Rich_L
Level 6
Employee
Hello pensoft,

The hardware-independent restore is the only function of the trial version that cannot be tested.  Please contact Sales at 1-800-745-6054 option 3, and ask about a full function 30 day trial license.

Please let me know if Sales was able to help.

Thanks,
Rich L

pensoft
Level 3
Rich,

Thanks for following up.  We have tried that avenue, but not had any luck.

Rich_L
Level 6
Employee
Hello pensoft,

Please review the message I sent you.

Rich L

pensoft
Level 3
Rich -

Thanks again for following up, but I've not received any mail from you outside this forum.  My profile e-mail address [webmaster@] is valid and should work.  Please feel free to resend your message.

pensoft
Level 3
Rich -

Belay my previous post.  I just found your message in the private message area and have responded.

Thanks.

chthao
Level 2
I'm also looking for the same full featured trial version.  Rich, can I receive the same information pensoft did?  Thanks.

Pensoft, we're actually evaluating both products and was wondering why you disliked Acronis?

pensoft
Level 3
chthao -

The Acronis product is fine, but expensive.  Additionally, they force you to buy a maintenance agreement with your initial purchase - something they don't do a good job of disclosing up front. 

We ran into a problem with a reseller when, upon inquiring about the product, the reseller charged us for the product without our consent.  That made us step back and put more effort into looking at alternative products.

ANONYM0US
Level 4
I actually had a Sales puke tell me that there was NO way I could get the full version for testing because "We don't want you to just use it then delete it..." o.O

So, I've been a Symantec customer for over 10 years but I CAN'T BE TRUSTED FOR 30 DAYS?!? Way to build brand loyalty!

My only suggestion is to be annoyingly persistant. It makes NO sense to allow us to test the trialware version of the software but not be able test the one key feature, imho. I mean really, if I can't test the restore to dissimular hardware, what's the point of the trial? I can restore a backup to the same hardware, why do I need this porgram?

As for the support, I cannot in good conscious recommend it. First of all, you must buy the "Essential Support" because they don't offer the "Basic Support" option. The $ difference is a few hundred per server. The support offering is something to the effect of M-F 9-5 access for Basic with 4 hour call back and 24x7 with 4 hour callback with the Essential. If I don't need weekend support, why do I need to pay for it? Also, unless you get the right guy you could be left wondering why they even off support, as even the product developer was stumped by an issue we had and this forum does NOT supply answers on a timely basis. 

Rich L was the hero on the issue we had. Despite phone support having the same data for over 3 months, they couldn't give us any answer or even identify where the problem might be coming from.

I would suggest giving UltraBac a shot. Full 90 trial, tech support that works with you during the trial. It's a little more expensive (you get what you pay for) but it functioned as well as BESR did with some minor issues that only required a little bit of pre-recovery setup.

Symantec's "Trial Support" is catch as catch can... they will work on your issue if and when they have time - Symantec's response not just my sour grapes...

We actually ended up buying 3 copies for testing so we could get "real" support for the issues we had and we only agreed to that because they guaranteed that we could return the product.

It seems to me that Symantec's gotten a bit too big for thier britches and needs to refocus on customer support.

Garen_Keshishia
Level 4
The trial is basically a demo of the GUI. You can click the buttons and icons and see if they respond to your input properly.

Sales didn't have any idea about a "full trial"