cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec System Recovery erase all recovery point except the last one ?

CarruS
Level 2

Hello we are implementing a backup solution at our customer sites and we have an annoying issue.

The customer has an external drive that rotates a different media each night (govault and RDX drives).

We take a full independant recovery point for the 3 partitions every night.

We want to keep as much previous recovery points as possible on each media and we expected the Monitor Disk Space Usage with threshold and the automatically optimize storage to only erase what was needed.

What happens is after a night or two it clear all backup on the media except the last one when there is still space for at least 3.

It takes around 25G for each recovery point and we use 120G media. We set a threshold at around 100 so theorically it should keep around 3 backups not only 1...

Is it a normal behavior, because I would have expected the software to erase only the earliest (not all) backup to make room.

Any idea how to achieve our goal ?

regards

Jean

3 REPLIES 3

criley
Employee Accredited

On the 'Options' screen (of the define backup wizard), what have you set 'Limit the number of recovery points..' to? It sounds like you need to increase this value..

CarruS
Level 2

Thanx for the quick reply.

At first I limited the number of recovery points saved for this backup to 3.

However, we realized that was clearing the past backup from our history up the the 3 last (we are use to Symantec Backup Exec where we can keep a full and long history).

Right now since we wanted to keep a longer history of backup I set it to 14 and even 30 at one customer.

The reason was we assumed it would keep a longer number of available recovery point available in our history.

regards

Jean

CarruS
Level 2

Hello,

That option was increased to 14 in one case and 30 in another.

Again last night it deleted everything except the last backup.

I did a manual backup and here is the message I got in the event viewer:

Error EC8F17E5: Your recovery point location of G:\ is running out of space. Please run the Cleanup Recovery Points task to free up some space.
Error EBAB03F1: Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.
Details:

Strange because I still have 65G available for the 22G backup for tonight

My only solution for the moment is to make a script that will run after the backup and delete *.v2i files based on the date (keeping last 30 or 15 days depending on the size) and to not let Symantec delete more than necessary.