cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec system recovery 2011 Copy Drive

kostask
Not applicable

Hello,

Everytime i use the Symantec System Recovery 2011 to copy my hard drive to another new drive i cannot boot in windows XP. When i login it logs me out immediately. I succesfully copy the drive and during copy procedure i check: copy mbr, make partition active and assign no drive letter (assuming that will copy (clone) the first drive and will give also the letter of the drive copied to the new drive). then i unplug the old drive and i leave only the new to boot. after press ctrl+alt+del i enter username and password (pc belongs to domain controller) and it logs me in and out automatically. i even dont see the desktop!

When i plugin the drive as a second (slave) and boot windows from another drive, on disk managment it shows the second drive partitioned, active but with no volume (no letter assigned).  I know windows cannot have two C drives but it should give another name automatically i guess.

I have the option to assign a drive letter but not C if i do that i will not be able to boot windows obviously...

i have expanded userinit.exe from windows cd using recovery console but no luck. Computer cannot login neither with a domain user nor with machine user...

if i try to boot from Symantec System Recovery boot cd i get a boot error....so the only way is to use the software from my domain server to copy the drive.

Also in recovery mode the drive is recognized as C drive but when in windows on disk managment shows no volume (no letter)

Whats wrong? Once on the past i fixed that but i dont remember how ,at all!!! 

SSR is a perfect tool to clone hard drive and built a new pc in 20 minutes but when comes the time to boot it dissapoints you! paying so much money every year for nothing...

1 REPLY 1

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Are you able to take and restore an image of this XP client? That is, do you have enough space on your current C to backup to itself or create a share that C can backup to, then restore that image to your 2nd drive? You said that the SRD gives you an error when attempting to boot from it; what's the error message? SSR is not meant as a cloning tool, but as a backup for disaster recovery as well as a migrate tool to move a system on a 1 to 1 basis (i.e. Cloning assumes a 1 to many relationship which Symantec Ghost is more suited for).

As for disk copy, be sure to always start with the 2nd disk being wiped with a utility like diskpart.

-Dave