cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Recovery 2013 - What happens if my backup drive fails?

jonnob
Level 4

Hi,

I've recently installed a trial of Symantec Backup System Recovery 2013 on my server and have a question.

I've setup a local backup to a USB removable HDD, and setup an offsite copy. Can someone tell me what would happen if my local USB removable HDD or offsite copy fails? I wonder how the product would deal with this?

If offsite copy drive fails then will Symantec catch up copying the data to a new one from the local USB removable HDD, and how intense would this be on resources?

And if the local USB removable HDD failed then what would happen upon installing a new one? I am a bit concerned about the restore points and how it would get itself back in sync with the offsite copy.

Many thanks

Jon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Glad that your questions have been answered -  please mark this post as solved !

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Let me escalate this to support for you !

criley
Employee Accredited

If offsite copy drive fails then will Symantec catch up copying the data to a new one from the local USB removable HDD, and how intense would this be on resources?

Not sure what you mean by 'new one'? If the offsite copy fails on any given day, the set should be 'synced' next time offsite copy runs. In other words, the offsite location should have a replica of what is stored on the primary backup destination.

And if the local USB removable HDD failed then what would happen upon installing a new one? I am a bit concerned about the restore points and how it would get itself back in sync with the offsite copy.

So you are saying the USB 'died' and you inserted a new one? That would basically be treated as a new backup destination and the next backup would be a full backup. The backup set starts again in this scenario.

jonnob
Level 4
Hi, Thanks for that. I think I understand now :-) My main concern was whether the offsite backup would sync again when it comes back online (either an existing one or replacement). Jon

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

Glad that your questions have been answered -  please mark this post as solved !