cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Recovery compatible email services?

rnight
Level 3

Forgive my ignorance on SMTP relays. I've tried unsuccessfully to use numerous email services with System Recovery for progress report/warning emails. I read that free services such as Gmail won't work. I was also informed that hosted Exchange accounts aren't compatible. I tried creating a basic email account with GoDaddy (for which I have the smtp info), but even that doesn't work. Is there just no way to do it if I'm not connected to the mail server in question? Can anyone tell me if they know first hand of any external email services that will play nice? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

I've had confirmation that external mail systems such as GMAIL are currently not supported with SSR.

I would encourage you to add this request to our ideas section:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/ideas

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

I should think that you can use all services that you have access to AND is compatible with the authentication options of SSR, so either no authentication (anonymous), cleartext(basic) or windows authentication (NTLM) do the trick. We use an internal SMTP Gateway which relays to external mail adresses, and I think this should be the recommended setting, also from a security perspectiv.

rnight
Level 3

I tried all of them - all authentication methods - can't even get passed the first step. Can you tell me more about your setup?

rnight
Level 3

Can anyone else help?

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

What details do you need to know ?

rnight
Level 3

I need to know what external email service (gmail, etc.) will work with email notifcations.

Markus_Koestler
   VIP   

An internal SMTP Server running Exchange 2003 is configured to relay ONLY for our internal mail Domain. It forwards the SSR e-mails to this intermal e-mail adresses through our main SMTP servers.

criley
Employee Accredited

I'm currently checking this. Will post back here once I get confirmation of which services are supported.

criley
Employee Accredited

I've had confirmation that external mail systems such as GMAIL are currently not supported with SSR.

I would encourage you to add this request to our ideas section:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/ideas