cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade SSR 2013 R2 SP4 to SP5

ges87
Level 5

I followed the guide here https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000081529

to update a management solution from SP4 to SP5. After selecting the product list, I don't get any update option in SIM.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

criley
Employee Accredited

Are you on step #8?

As it says on #9, you then have to click on Install new products

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

criley
Employee Accredited

Are you on step #8?

As it says on #9, you then have to click on Install new products

thanks

I was expecting to see an update for the management solution, but I understand the update is only related to the installer for the client version, right? Can I now uninstall the SP4 installer?

Finally, is there a guide to update at SP6? I expect that in this case the update is relative to the management solution (and the SMP as well), so it probably differs from the Sp4 to Sp5 update

criley
Employee Accredited

I was expecting to see an update for the management solution, but I understand the update is only related to the installer for the client version, right? Can I now uninstall the SP4 installer?

Yes, I agree. All logic says it should be found in the upgrade section. I did raise this with our engineering team in the past and there is some technical issue that means it has to now go into the install new products section - I don't recall the specific details though. The SP5 installer will replace the SP4 installer I think, so there should be no need to manually remove it.

I need to update the article for SP6 (it's on my to-do list) but it is basically a 2-step process:

1. Update the Symantec Management Platform (SMP) to 8.0 - this is a requirement for SP6.
  2. Update the System Recovery Management Solution (including installer) to SP6 - same steps as the article really, just the download filename will be 11.1.6

As you are updating to SMP 8.0, please pay attention to the SMP support matrix (http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO9965) to ensure that your environment is compatible with this version of SMP.

Hope this helps.

thanks

finally, is it possible to upgrade directly from SP4 tp SP6?  The update is rolling down slowly and I wanted to know if I can run the upgrade from SP5 to SP6 without waiting all clients to have updated to SP5. I guess in this case they would need to upgrade directly to SP6, right?

criley
Employee Accredited

finally, is it possible to upgrade directly from SP4 tp SP6?

Yes, this is possible. You can even go from 2013 R2 (no service pack) directly to SP6. No need to go SP to SP to SP..

From mezencevr

I have exactly the same problem (with the docs000081529). I have downloaded and unzipped the file "System_Recovery_2013R2_11.1.5.55405_with_PLXM.zip"  I receive two folders and a list of xml files. Among these xml files I see the file Veritas_SSR.pl.xml. Point 8 of the docs81529 asks to OPEN and OK on this file.  But I am unable to execute such a file ! ! As another suprise I see that the first folder named BESR contains an executable file SSR_x64_11_1_5.msi. Am I supposed to use this file to finally install a french version of SSR2013R2 SP5 ? If it is true, so in the paragraph "Upgrading to latest installer Service Pack ..." the items 3 and 4 are useless. Thanks for help. MR:-)

criley
Employee Accredited

@unpeujuste

To clarify; do you want to install the Management Solution or just the standalone version of System Recovery?

Hello !

I want only a standalone product in order to backup or restaure my system. Previously with Windows 8.1  I was using Norton Ghost. I was obliged to change for SSR2013 when Ghost desappeared. Now, for the retaurations I follow using the SSR Disk which was prepared under Windows 8.1. But my SSR 2013 R2 11.1.3.5508 don't accept to prepare a new SSRDisk under Windows 10. So I hope that SSR 2013 R2 SP4 or SP5 wil be able to prepare such a SSRDisk. Thank you for help.

criley
Employee Accredited

@unpeujuste

You are using SP3. We added support for Windows 10 in SP4. You should update to latest service pack (SP6):

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000114408

If you have problems after this, please start a NEW forum thread.

Hello Criley,

I want to warmly thank you for your suggestion: my SSR 2013 SP3 was converted to version 11.1.6.55604 by the SP6_pack_64.exe  without any trouble: I reach the seventh heaven. MR:-)

Preparing a SSR Disk with SSR version 11.1.6.55604 I have a problem more: I have prepared the SSRD on a USB key: SymantecSrd.iso. Then I have copied this iso file to a DVD. Attempting to start from this DVD I don't receive the usual words: "click any key to start from the disk" and I retrun to the EFI. Conversely if I start the SSR Disk of my preceeding SSR version 11.1.3 the computer gives the words "click any key ..." and  accepts to read it. So my question is: how can I start the iso file of version 11.1.6 ? Thank you for your patience. 

criley
Employee Accredited

@unpeujuste

That won't work..

You need to first extract the contents of the .iso file, then copy everything to a DVD or USB. Then you should be able to boot into the recovery environment.

Hello criley,

My problem is solved. May-be it could be usefull to modify a sentence in the user's notice to avoid this kind of trouble. In the English User Guide of docs/00009950 (article 000099949) chapter 3 "Creating a new Symantec System Recovery Disk", on page 42, at the end of paragraph 5, you find the sentence "You can manually burn the saved iso file to a CD\DVD\Blu-ray". I propose to change this sentence to: "If you want to transfer the iso file from the USB to a CD\DVD\Blu-ray a COPY-TO statement is not convenient. You have to manually burn the saved file to the CD\DVD\Blu-ray in order to obtain an executable Iso Symantec System Recovery CD\DVD\Blu-ray Disk".

Of course in the french version my remark applies to page 46. Thank you for your patience. :)