cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V2P - VMWARE ESX vmdk to physical Machine

Mark_Laffan
Level 2
Hi,

I'm currently trying to convert a devlopoment server (W2K3 running on VMWARE ESX server) to a physical (Dell poweredge 860) server, now we want to go into production.

A quick google gave me a hit on Backup exec which says it can convert V2P, so I bought the software for the server.

Now I have the software, I copied the vmdk image from the server to an external USB drive, booted the new server up on the recovery CD, selected the vmdk file (32gb) and I get an error (not exactly, but with the important information).

E0030006 , error 15 INVALIDDISK

Can this software work as advertised? Am I doing something wrong? am I missing something?

Cheers
Mark

4 REPLIES 4

Mark_Laffan
Level 2
Can't edit post.. but here is the exact error message:

Error E0030006: VMware returned error 15 (INVALIDDISK: the file specified is not a virtual disk).

Charles_Gage
Level 2
Yeah, exactly what I'm trying to do also. It turns out that you need to install BESR on the VM first, take a standard v2i image of it, then restore using SRD and Restore Anywhere option.

It doesn't seem to be able to restore a vmdk file directly.

Mark_Laffan
Level 2
Thanks, I'll stop ripping my hair out trying to use this product as advertised.. thanks for nothing Mr Symantec....

Mark_Laffan
Level 2
Thanks, that worked fine. But I would have liked the vmdk image to work correctly.

Cheers
Mark