cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which virtualisation software ?

yannick_frere
Not applicable

Hi there,

I am currently testing Backup Exec System Restore to see if we can use it in our company. Everything is fine except creating a virtual machine from a restore point.

I can create the virtual hard disk from a restore point, no problem. But my VMWare Worstation 6 (VW6) can not open it at all. I can not open.sv2i or .spf files in VW6 either.

All I can do is mounting the virtual hard disk (containing the restore point) as a secondary hard disk in an existing virtual machine. But that's not what I would like.

What I'd like is to be able to create a restore point of a server and if this server crashes down : convert one restore point into a virtual hard disk and then open it with a virtualization software so that my colleagues can still continue to use the server as if it was in mint condition.

Is all this really possible ? Do I have to change virtualization software ?

Thanks for reading !

1 REPLY 1

David_F
Level 6
Employee Accredited
I am not aware of testing performed with that specific version of Workstation 6 by our product testers, but you should be able to create a new virtual machine using Vmware’s ‘custom’ option and at the point where it asks if you want to create a new virtual disk or use an existing one, choose existing and browse to the *.VMDK file BESR’s converting option has made; be sure to use LSI logic emulation as the controller type.