cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it possible backup the data on the remote computer

mevo
Not applicable
Hello!

Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery 8.5 or 2010 can backup the data - files and folders on the local computer.
Whether is it possible backup the data on the remote computer? 
When I make the new task point "to Create backup copies of the chosen files and folders"  is not active.
1 REPLY 1

ioniancat21
Level 5
Unfortunately, the Backup Files and Folders options are quite lackluster and what you'd like to accomplish can only be done by instead remoting into the computer that contains the files and running a local BESR console and completing the backup. Also, do not move the files from their backup destination as it doesn't work like the images do and moving the files/folders backup files and then trying to restore them elsewhere doesn't work and BESR doesn't even recognize those backup files if attempting to restore from another installation.

Good old Microsoft Backup does this better as you can backup files to a .bak archive, copy them to another computer and restore them as needed, which is what it seems you'd like to do. BESR 2010 is a bare-metal disk imaging product and it's features lie there. The files and folders backup feature added is only a "free extra" in my opinion so when I saw that using it to backup files may not work so well I wasn't upset because I didn't purchase BESR to do these tasks. In my case, my employer had me also setup an additional backup system for files and folder-based backup, which in our case is Backup Exec 12.5 and 2010, which certainly does what you wish at a premium cost however.

In close, my belief is that you need to use a product that has the features your looking for as I mentioned above. Try Microsoft Backup for starters as it's included with all versions of Windows for free, it's scriptable, can be scheduled and is a good, simple method to reliably accomplish what you desire.