cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

just installed BESR 7 Manager...what is the next step?

BlueFire
Level 3
Hi All,

Just installed the Manager product on a testing server.  .NET 2.0 was also installed and the server rebooted.

I cannot connect to the BESR 7 Manager console from that test server to itself, or from another server running console only install to the test server i created with the full install on it.  I have attempted both DNS and IP for 'Log on to:' and get no joy.  The following arror is produced:

Logon error.

Unable to connect to the remote server
Details
   Data
       System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal
   Inner Exception
       No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it
   Source
       System
   Stack Trace
          at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream()
          at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
          at BackupManager.BackupManagerSoapBinding.authenticate(String in0, String in1, LocaleInfo in2, Boolean in3)
          at Com.Symantec.RecoveryManager.Tier3ProxyLib.SessionImpl.Authenticate(AuthUserRequestProxy authUserRequest)
          at Com.Symantec.RecoveryManager.Tier3ProxyLib.Tier3Proxy.Authenticate(AuthUserRequestProxy authUserRequest)
          at Symantec.RecoveryManager.MainForm.Logon_AuthenticationEvent(Object sender, AuthenticationEventArgs e)
   Target Site
       GetRequestStream

Anyone familiar with this?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hello,

I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the manager product.

I know that is a ham-fisted approach to problems like this, but I feel it's worth a try.

Thanks.

BlueFire
Level 3
Hi Bill,

Have tried that, three times now each time with different passwords.

I forgot to mention something that could affect the operation of this product, the test machine is a Virtual 2K3 server, do you see that as a problem?

Thanks.

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Hello,

No, I do not believe that would affect the issue.  Virtual or physical, it should work.

The line in the error test "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it" stands out to me.

Could this indicate a permissions issue of some kind?  Firewall?

Perhaps a log file might be helpful.  Check the log file at the following location:

ManagerConsole.log --> 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec System Recovery Manager\Console'

Thanks.

BlueFire
Level 3
Hi Bill,

No software or hardware firewalls between the devices I am testing with.  The devices are on seperate VLANs but our switches have no access lists in place.

Below is the result from a single attempt, this attempt was done via the console locally on BESR 7 Manager server itself.

[dotNetBase]: Duplicate string 'IMAGE_STATE_DELETED' found in 'file:///C:/Program Files/Symantec/Backup Exec System Recovery/Manager/Console/VProUI.DLL'.
[dotNetBase]: Duplicate string 'MSG_MONITORING_LEVEL_IGNORE' found in 'file:///C:/Program Files/Symantec/Backup Exec System Recovery/Manager/Console/VProUI.DLL'.
[dotNetBase]: Duplicate string 'CS_LINK_TECH_SUPPORT' found in 'file:///C:/Program Files/Symantec/Backup Exec System Recovery/Manager/Console/VProUI.DLL'.
[dotNetBase]: Duplicate string 'MSG_MONITORING_LEVEL_ERRORS_ONLY' found in 'file:///C:/Program Files/Symantec/Backup Exec System Recovery/Manager/Console/VProUI.DLL'.
[dotNetBase]: Duplicate string 'MSG_MONITORING_LEVEL_DEFAULT' found in 'file:///C:/Program Files/Symantec/Backup Exec System Recovery/Manager/Console/VProUI.DLL'.
[dotNetBase]: String < Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery Manager > not found
[MainForm]: 25/07/2007 1:12:52 PM - Error- AlertDialog.ShowError: Unable to connect to the remote server
  at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream()
  at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
  at BackupManager.BackupManagerSoapBinding.authenticate(String in0, String in1, LocaleInfo in2, Boolean in3)
  at Com.Symantec.RecoveryManager.Tier3ProxyLib.SessionImpl.Authenticate(AuthUserRequestProxy authUserRequest)
  at Com.Symantec.RecoveryManager.Tier3ProxyLib.Tier3Proxy.Authenticate(AuthUserRequestProxy authUserRequest)
  at Symantec.RecoveryManager.MainForm.Logon_AuthenticationEvent(Object sender, AuthenticationEventArgs e)

Also, can you tell me what port the Console communicates on?  Is it 8443 or 763, I would like to check to see if the server is even listening.

Thanks again.

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Hello,

I believe the console communicates with the server on port 8443

Thanks.

BlueFire
Level 3
Hi Bill,

The server is not responding on TCP port 8443.  Tested via telnet.

It also looks like it is not listening, the port is not listed in any output of netstat.

I have installed the product on a physical server now as well to test, same result!

Should I be opening a support ticket with Symantec at this point?

Regards,

Bill_Felt
Level 6
Hello,

Yes, I would suggest you open a support ticket.  It's clear that BESR Manager is not behaving as expected.

Thanks.