cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a backup solution for a large enterprise Exchange server

Swissjon
Level 2

Hello, I'm looking for a backup solution for an Exchange server 2010 with over 500 mailboxes. We are a multinational company, and our exchange server mail servers are based in London. I'm looking for a solution that would allow me to backup individual emails on the exchange servers. Currently we backup at block level, meaning we have to restore the entire Exchange databases before we can recover the data. This isn't acceptable, so we need to get something in place that allows us to restore individual emails. Any suggestions? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...are you looking at a hardware appliance (because you logged this in the 3600 Appliance forum) or software like Backup Exec (which the appliance runs anyway).

GRT backups of Exchange ALWAYS stage to disk if you do this particular backup to tape. Doing it to disk means that there is no staging required.

The 3600 Appliance has built-in deduplication meaning your backup data will be compressed and duplicate data edited out, making backups smaller, and eventually faster.

Otherwise, BE installed on a media server can do the same thing.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV

...are you looking at a hardware appliance (because you logged this in the 3600 Appliance forum) or software like Backup Exec (which the appliance runs anyway).

GRT backups of Exchange ALWAYS stage to disk if you do this particular backup to tape. Doing it to disk means that there is no staging required.

The 3600 Appliance has built-in deduplication meaning your backup data will be compressed and duplicate data edited out, making backups smaller, and eventually faster.

Otherwise, BE installed on a media server can do the same thing.

Thanks!

Swissjon
Level 2
I'd never heard of this appliance before I looked, but it would certainly solve some problems. What's the capacity of this unit? I'm not bothered how the backup takes place, simply that I have the ability to restore individual emails into someones mailbox should I be requested to do so. I haven't used Backup Exec for over 5 years, so please excuse my lack of knowledge on these products.

CraigV

It's about 5TB of capacity.

It would do a GRT-based backup and restore of Exchange, allowing you to restore a single item from Exchange.

Check the links below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC4613

Thanks!

Swissjon
Level 2
Ok, thanks.. Last thing.. What kind of price are we talking for one of these units? We have 2 Exchange 2010 servers and 500 Mailboxes.

CraigV

...best to find a reseller where you stay, but the web states over $25K for an all-in appliance that can tape-out to a SAS drive.

Thanks!